opinions on skimmer/return layout new build

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Starting the dig next week owner-build Im trying to get all the pieces together, 14x30 steel wall kit. Not shown in the pic is the additional suction line, theres no main drains but will put a low suction in just trying to figure out If I need VGA compliant covers and a dual seperated suction setup on the sidewall. Ive been racking my brain on whether to put a return in the fiberglass stairs and add another by pool light and just have 3 home runs w 2 returns on each, return piping will be 2" mains with 1.5" to returns, and 2"suction home runs. any ideas or advice welcomed. The current design is from pool manufacturer they only spec'd 1 skimmer and 2 returns, I had them change it to 4 returns. Its a small pool but returns are cheap and easy and I knew I was adding sidewall suction or equalizer leg, but I think I would need compliant setup on equalizer hence the seperate dual suction idea. any advice or opinions appreciated

pool.jpg

Does your plan take advantage of the wind patterns in your yard? One skimmer is doable but it helps to be positioned well.

I think you have plenty of returns personally. I would not place another in the stairs.

Will that light be shining into your house or face when on the patio?

Why are you adding a low suction? If you are putting in a drain, I believe it must have the compliant covers?

Truthfully I like my main drain. I can turn off the skimmer and drain from low down, and i also avoid the risk of accidentally starving the pump of water (assuming I don't also close my main drain). You don't have to have one but I'd rather have that than a separate low suction line set up.

Maddie :flower:

Does your area have a prevailing wind? Do you see that leaves and feathers and what-not tend to collect on one side of your yard or another? A beach ball will tell a tale (though it might be just that day's tale). You can get historic wind directions from the weather websites. You might find a weather station near your home. Place your skimmer accordingly...

I was just discussing flow rate with a respected member here. He was explaining that my flow rate might be low for the number of returns in my pool. Which got me thinking about something I'd never considered before, in terms of overall circulation. That my pump's energy was being divided by the number of my returns. So then... I started wondering if, given the same pump RPMs, if two returns would circulate a pool better or worse than four? Four would be pushing the water around from more points, but two would be pushing water at a higher rate each. Which is more effective? Unfortunately, I can only pose the question, not provide the answer... It might be that more would provide better coverage, but would also require more pump RPMs = high energy costs.

I deleted my main drains in a recent remodel. They were never used for anything prior, and I didn't like looking at them, stepping on them, or freeing my vac from them. Not to mention the safety issues. But Maddie does make a compelling case for them...

The prevailing wind from what I saw on weather sites is from lower right to upper left hence the skimmer placement. Pool is only 6 ft deep so I can almost stand in real water height in deep end. I'm against main drains not worth the hassle but I want a fail safe against pump starvation. Should pool leak overnight or while away down the road and water is under skimmer. Does anyone know if a lower suction below skimmer would require compliance for vga? I kinda wanted a second input and homerun to pad i see alot of equalizer legs pipes into second skimmer tap any other suggestions?

They make intakes that are near the bottom, but on the side. And these:

http://www.poolfittings.com/channel-pebble-top/

Either would solve for most of the issues I have with main drains. The latter is pretty cool, looks very safe, and hardly noticeable as you can cover it with plaster, pebble, etc.

Some (most?) decent pumps shut down when there is no flow, so there's that.

I failed to mention that my main drain is on the side of my fiberglass pool, about 6" from the floor. It is actually two inlets side by side with some space between. It does have VGB compliant covers over the two drains.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.