Opening Steps

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
Is there a set set of steps for opening a pool? In my case a green pool? For example:

Drain water to proper level
Start filter
Test water
Slam
Vacuum/brush

I don’t want to make extra work for myself or use unnecessary amounts of chemicals by doing things in the wrong order.

My nature is to want to throw some chlorine in there right away to clear up some of the green, but I know that’s not the program.

You’ve got the right order!
Just as with any journey you must know where you’re starting from to reach your destination most efficiently.
After circulating a few hours you’ll test & make adjustments to start a proper slam -
Ph 7.2
Then if no cya is present eliminate ammonia as a possibility before adding cya to 30ppm and beginning
SLAM Process.
Hopefully you’re not afflicted by ammonia but it only takes a few minutes to check.

Confirm that You Have an Ammonia Problem in Your Pool Water​

1. Your CYA will be 0
  2. Add liquid chlorine for 10 ppm and test your free chlorine after 30-minutes. You likely have ammonia in your water if you lost 80%+ of FC in 30 minutes
  3. Your CC tests > 0.5
  4. Optional: An ammonia test indicates the presence of ammonia

Getting Rid of Ammonia in Pool Water​

1. Dose the pool to SLAM level of 10 ppm
  2. Do not add any CYA until chlorine begins to hold
  3. Test chlorine every 30 minutes until chlorine begins to hold. Add chlorine as needed to get back to 10 ppm. FC will likely test close to 0 until you get to the next step
  4. You will know when the chlorine begins to hold when you begin seeing FC testing > 3 ppm after 30 minutes.
  5. When you see a significant jump in FC from the prior 30 minute test CYA can be added back into the pool. Limit the CYA to 30 ppm for the duration of the process
  6. Increase the FC target to 12 ppm and follow the steps in the SLAM Process until the criteria of “Done” are all met.
  7. Follow the SLAM Process FC test procedures. You no longer a need to test every 30 minutes at this stage.

What do I do with my pool cover. It’s a mesh safety cover and as we removed it, it got dragged through some algae. Is that an issue? Obviously it will be bone dry by the time we put it back on in the fall. Will the algae reconstitute?

Will the algae reconstitute?
Nope. It'll dry up and die in no time. I fold mine up enough to carry it to the front yard (dogs would LOVE their new carpet out back. :roll:). Then I lay it out, let it dry about 2 hours, flip it, let finish drying 2 more hours, then fold it up and store it.

The Mrs helps with the unfolding/folding so it's neat.

You can lay it out and hose it down, but then you need to let it dry somewhere else.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Interesting situation. I started the SLAM yesterday but I was too tired to vacuum the pool. I put two gallons in the pool of 12.5% with a 40 cya and it got up to 16 no problem. Water cleared up and because I had brushed, the sides looked good. Figured I'd resume the SLAM today and vacuum the bottom. The interesting thing is that I did an OCLT and didn't lose any chlorine overnight. I guess everything on the bottom of the pool is dead algae and that I just need to clean it up and move on - end of SLAM. Is that even possible?

My plan is to keep the chlorine at SLAM level today, vacuum and the do another OCLT tonight. Still, seems odd that it would pass the OCLT with all that stuff in the bottom of the pool and after less than one day at SLAM level of chlorine. I guess, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, or whatever that old saying was. (y):)

Interesting situation. I started the SLAM yesterday but I was too tired to vacuum the pool. I put two gallons in the pool of 12.5% with a 40 cya and it got up to 16 no problem. Water cleared up and because I had brushed, the sides looked good. Figured I'd resume the SLAM today and vacuum the bottom. The interesting thing is that I did an OCLT and didn't lose any chlorine overnight. I guess everything on the bottom of the pool is dead algae and that I just need to clean it up and move on - end of SLAM. Is that even possible?

My plan is to keep the chlorine at SLAM level today, vacuum and the do another OCLT tonight. Still, seems odd that it would pass the OCLT with all that stuff in the bottom of the pool and after less than one day at SLAM level of chlorine. I guess, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, or whatever that old saying was. (y):)
Keep with it until nothing recollects on the floor. Much easier to maintain slam now than to start over in a week.