Opening pool soon

Checked cya and ph this morning.

cya 30
ph 8.2

This was with the TF 100 test kit.
The pool calculator said to put in 54 oz. of muriatic acid. I put about 1 1/2 Qts. in and will check ph again in 2 hours.
If ph is about 7.4 should I put in the bleach at this point or wait till the sun is off the pool this evening.

Thanks in advance.

RiFisher said:
The pool calculator said to put in 54 oz. of muriatic acid.

Just want to quickly point out - I verified this calculation on the pool calc. I came up with 40 oz of Muratic acid, 54 oz of dry acid. You want to be careful when you are calculating that you are using the correct dosage per chemical and you don't make mistakes on overdosing of chems. But since 40 oz comes out to a little over a quart I think you'll be okay. I just want to make sure you are getting comfortable with the Pool Calculator and confident in your calculations. :goodjob:

Yes, retest the PH. It should have come down (hopefully not too low :wink: ) and you can go ahead and add the bleach to bring you up to shock level, for a CYA of 30 that will be 12. Then follow the instructions in How to shock your Pool; frequent testing (up to hourly) and bleach additions to hold the shock level of 12 will mean the pool will clear quicker. :wink:

Wait to retest the CYA for a few days, sometimes it can take several days for it to fully dissolve and register on the tests.

Tested again at 1 o'clock and ph still 8.2. Added more muriatic acid.

Will test again at 3 and go from there.

Looked at the muriatic acid jug. I might of got the wrong muriatic acid as there is no percentage and it is the enviormently friendly muriatic acid the label still says it will reduce ph in pools. Learned a lesson that time.

Please point out anything I do wrong as I would like to learn what to do so I don't have to be such a bother.

It's most likely 10º Baumé 15.7%. It's fine to use and some people even prefer it because it fumes less. You just have to use more of it to get the same change as the strong stuff. You can adjust the Pool Calc to account for it. There's a pull down that lists several strengths. Just remember that if you go back to the stronger stuff to set the PC back to 31.45%.

Just an update.

Went and got the good muriatic acid and put about 1 qt in at 4 o'clock and checked ph at 6 o'clock and it was down to 7.8. Added about a pint of the muriatic acid and will check it in the morning.

At 7 o'clock I added 6 of the jugs of bleach from walmart and at 9 o'clock checked the cl and still had at least 5ppm I will recheck cl in the morning and use the other test so I will know how high the cl is.

Put in 4 more jugs of bleach at 8 o'clock. Came back at 10 o'clock and checked fc with the other test also did the cc while I was doing it.

FC 5
CC 10

Put in 3 more jugs of bleach. Pool is much lighter shade of green.

Got and get more bleach be back about 1 o'clock.

Not sure about the CC will have go back to Pool School and read up on this.

Love this sight and the people helping me.

Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry got tied up and couldn't get back till now. Tested water at 3 o'clock.

FC 12
CC 3
PH 6.8

Must of gone overboard with the muuratic acid. Should I try to correct this now or let the pool settle down till tomorrow and test again.

The water is almost a brownish light green. Know we are making progress.

Will check FC again about 6 or 7 o'clock and post again.

Didn't add anything this time.

Yes, correct it now. Go out about 6 pm and increase the PH to 7.2 with Borax (predissolve it in a bucket of water and pour in front of the return, brush the pool near the return). Don't add any bleach yet.
Wait an hour, retest the PH. If it hasn't come up, add more borax to reach 7.2. You don't want PH sitting too low.
Once the PH comes up to 7.2ish, then you can start adding the bleach again, raising it back up to shock level. :)

Tested the pool at 8am results below.

FC 3
Ph 6.8

Put 1 box of borax in pool and nothing else. Didn’t know whether to put bleach in too because ph was low so I didn’t.
Tested 6pm

Fc 1
Ph 7

Put ½ box of borax in pool and tested ph again at 7pm.

Ph7.2

Added 4 large jug of bleach. Tested water at 8pm.

Fc 2

Should I add more bleach tonight or wait and test in the morning?

Have to work tomorrow. If the ph is low in the morning can I add borax and a few minutes later add bleach?

Feel like I went back a little today (didn’t know whether to add bleach this morning or not as ph was low and could not post and ask) pool looks a little greener than it did this morning but still working on it.

Yes, put in more bleach tonight, target your shock level.

Yes, if PH is low you can add borax in the morning, wait a few minutes and add bleach. :)

You're doing fine, when the FC drops down it is sort of a step backward. The more often you can check and add bleach the quicker it will clear. But considering the PH issue I would have done the same thing. :)

Tested at 9pm
FC 2 added 4 more jugs of bleach

Tested at 10 pm
FC 1 added 4 more jugs of bleach

tested at 11pm
FC 6 added 2 more jugs of bleach

Tested a 7am this morning
FC 6
PH 6.8 added 1 box of borax

8am added two jugs of bleach

Tested at 9am
FC 12
PH 7.2

Put 2 more jugs of bleach in because I know I will not be back till later.

Test at 6pm
fc 5
ph 6.8

Added one box of borax and 2 1/2 jugs of bleach.

Test at 8pm
fc 15
ph 7.4

Will check again in the morning and post the numbers.

Why is the ph going up and down so much. Is this normal.

I think we are getting close as the water has just a little green tint and I can almost see the bottom in the shallow end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.