Opening Pool Levels

Aug 4, 2017
Indianapolis. IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I usually have the pool company open each year but am doing it myself to save some money. The pool water was a bit green when we took the cover off. After filling and vacuuming, it's so cloudy I can't even see the bottom. When the green settles the water is a tad cloudy. I've never had a bit of green in my pool before so am worried that I'm missing something. I normally just test my pH, FC and CYA so and have never had to do in-depth testing or to SLAM.

Yesterday pH was high so I added MA and chlorine levels were low so I added one bag of quick dissolving shock and a few jugs of chlorine.

My current levels are:
FC: above 60?? I stopped counting drops because the water never turned clear.
CC: see above, I'm assuming way more than 0.5
pH: 7.8-8 (I just added a tad but more MA)
CYA: 45-60
TA: 80ish

Do I just need to wait, keep vacuuming and let the filter clean all of the algae out?

THANKS!!

Attachments

• 20210522_165032.jpg
    20210522_165032.jpg
    426.2 KB · Views: 3
Stop adding granualar products like "shock" as they're raising your CYA level. Let your FC level drop down. It will take a few days but with that much chlorine in the water you shouldn't have too much in the way of CCs. Brush the pool daily to insure that you're hitting all spots with the brush and that chlorine.

In the meantime, is there any debris in your pool you need to lift out?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Lizstar06
I should've added- yesterday the CYA was about 10 so that's why I did the shock with the liquid chlorine. I've swept out all the debris that fell in when we took the cover off so it's just the green that settles.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.