Silver Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
Carrollton, Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Opening pool started on 4-13-17, removed cover dirtiest I've ever seen it. lots of dirt, leaves, very green. As of today and adding about 17lbs of shock, 5lbs Lo and slo, 24lbs baking soda it is a light green, still can't see bottom at the 8' level. Pool store says add more shock. readings from test strip about 20mins ago are PH-8.4, FC- 0, TA- closer to 240 than 180. CYA- 150.
new to taking care of the pool, any help is appreciated. located in Ga. west of ATL.

You need to shock with CHLORINE, knowing your CyA concentration you need a partial drain too. DON'T add "Shock"! Bring it back.

This is the tried and true way, called SLAM here. Get a good test kit as indicated here and STAY OUT OF THE POOL STORE unless it is to buy Muriatic Acid and maybe liquid chlorine.

Thanks for the advice. Hate to hear about the partial drain. I'm at wits end so will hit it with chlorine tonight, out of town for 2 days tomorrow and if the chlorine hasn't helped I'll do the partial drain and start over.

You'd have to add an absolute ton of chlorine to overcome CYA of 150 with it being green. Save the time AND money on that and order one of our recommended test kits. WAIT till you have time to drain it half way and retest. That TA is outta site too.

Thanks, I will get a test kit first. Been looking a SLAMing in pool school just to get a feel for how to.

- - - Updated - - -

Will order and test first. Thks for the info. Heading to TFtestkits now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.