Opening Pool for First Time

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I recently had new coping and tile installed. They had to drain the pool, and I just got done refilling it. Since the cover is already off, I thought that I would open it myself. I removed the drain plugs from the return lines, spa jets, and skimmers. I was working on getting the filter ready, but I have a few questions. I have a Jandy CV460 cartridge filter. It has a drain plug at the bottom. Do I need to lubricate the o-ring before reinstalling it?

I also have 4 small plugs, and I'm not exactly sure where they go. I attached two picture below (click to enlarge). I installed one of them on the salt water generator (see second picture), and I think that's the right one. I'm not certain about the remaining three. I think that the black one goes to my pump. The two gray ones look identical. Do they attach somewhere to the filter? Is there any type of plug on the heater? Do these have to get lubricated or sealed in any way? I see that there is some kind of white threading that is peeling from the black plug.

I appreciate any input.

Have you tried to prime the pump and looked to see if there's water running out of drain holes at the bottom of the housing ??
If you can't find out where the plugs go as a last resort you can start up the pump and listen for a sucking sound around the pump or water shooting out somewhere on the filter housing. ;)
It's nice to use a little Teflon tape on the plugs and any O ring should get a very light coat of silicone plumbers lube or silicone faucet grease. Any big box or hardware store should have some for a few bucks.
Not a plug for HomeDepot just an example of what to ask for.

DANCO 0.5 oz. Silicone Faucet Grease-88693 - The Home Depot

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.