Opening pool and discovered red blood worms in the water, many, drain or no drain?

Took the cover off the pool, which was mostly off anyway, it had broken loose about a month ago.. began to clean out the pool with a net only to discover these half inch or so tiny red worms all through the water, maybe 100 or so, guessing, very hard to see.. from what I read they are larvae for flys or some other type of insect.

From what i can see online, it may or may not work to just shock the pool and kill them, or possibly needing something called blu52?

Either way, its disgusting enough that I'd like some guarantee they are gone once the pool is fully open.. i guess the combo of the chemicals and filter should work?

Any thoughts on this, or am I better off draining and cleaning and starting again..

Thanks in advance

Don't drain, and don't add that product. I have no idea what it is, and if you don't know it will work, or what is in it, you should never add it. Oh and tell us about your pool. Please place the pool details in your signature section. How many of these things are in your pool?

I imagine Chlorine will kill them, so tell us more. Never mind on the number, I missed that sorry. So, if its 100 or so, no way would I drain. We used to feed these to aquarium fish, and 100 isn't many if it's anything close to the same type, and it sounds like they are.

Don't drain, and don't add that product. I have no idea what it is, and if you don't know it will work, or what is in it, you should never add it. Oh and tell us about your pool. Please place the pool details in your signature section. How many of these things are in your pool?

I imagine Chlorine will kill them, so tell us more. Never mind on the number, I missed that sorry. So, if its 100 or so, no way would I drain. We used to feed these to aquarium fish, and 100 isn't many if it's anything close to the same type.

I added the info to my sig, thanks for the tip and response.

Its your basic ultra intex 18x52 pool with sand pump and also the salt water system.. i began filling it back up to the levels so i could turn on the pump system and add more salt for the salt water generator to work.

I also have the basket side filter, where i have to put the cap to plug one of the two outlets so the basket gets most of the strength during most normal filtering. Currently i got a great deal of the leaves out of the pool except a boat load still on the bottom along with dirt..

Before i spotted these buggers i was anticipating either just using 2 bags of shock (i had on hand before i went salt water) or maybe 2-3 jugs of chlorox from the dollar store, or both.. the water is pretty nasty, though not too brown, just sediment i think.

On the subject of the worms..

What was meant by hairnet on the basket and vacuum? Meaning the hose vac attachment? i'd imagine just using it alone might be worth a shot without any mods..

Either way I just hope that even if they arent visible they are truly gone after all this.. the thought of them in there, being so small is rather nasty.. they tend to slip right through the net is the other issue, they are tiny.

Anything with 'blue' or 'blu' in the name likely contains copper and you don't want it in your pool. Unless you like 'green' hair, that is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.