Opening pool after 3/4 draining - no FC reading?

Mar 29, 2020
Austin, TX
Hi everyone -

I recently opened up my pool again after draining about 3/4 of the way to do high CYA buildup (was at 140 - now down, but will probably need to drain again at the close of this season to bring it down more). Most of my levels are reading about where I want them (except for CYA as mentioned), but I'm not getting an FC reading at all. It currently takes almost 10 scoops of the powder to even get the color to change and then 2 or 3 drops of reagent to get it back to clear.

Does that sound expected? Should I just add liquid chlorine to get it back up (I have an auto-chlorinator, but I imagine that it takes quite a while to put enough FC into the pool using only it)

Here are the rest of my stats as of this morning.

------------------------------------------
Test Results 04-26-2020 @ 09:38 AM
------------------------------------------
pH: 7.6
Total Alkalinity: 70
Calcium Hardness: 480
CYA: 70

You aren't supposed to keep adding powder. If you don't get any pink with 1 scoop of powder you have no chlorine. Add liquid bleach and do an overnight chlorine loss test.

Is the alternative to just use pure liquid chlorine?

Liquid, either hand poured daily or via an automated pump, or a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWG) which produces chlorine within the device from salt water in the pool. Very convenient!!

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.