Opening a really murky pool

Just keep in mind when your CYA level gets up there the amount of chlorine in the tablet wont be enough to kill any algae because the higher your CYA level is the higher your min FC level needs to be to fight the algae. Look at this Chlorine/CYA chart and compare the numbers for yourself.

Once your CYA gets up there in the numbers the only way to reduce it is to drain water from the pool and refill it.

IMHO:
Why dont you save the tablets for when you go on vacation or away and wont be able to add chlorine manually? Using the tabs once in awhile doesnt hurt but all the time is asking for trouble and switch to the bleach like people are suggesting?

Why come here for advise and help about clearing your pool and then not listen to what people are telling you to do?

Makes no sense to me .....

Im headed to swim in our crystal clear pool ... because I listened to the advise of the experts here .... :wave:

frustratedpoolmom said:
The only way to lower CYA is water replacement. Anything over 50 you will have trouble maintaining clear water.
I figured on that.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Often the tablets alone do not maintain a good residual FC to keep the pool clear, so make sure you still maintain FC levels according to the CYA chart - even if that means adding bleach in addition to the tablets.
OK, so I will add some 6% bleach when necessary, right?

frustratedpoolmom said:
So confirm which shock bags she added, if she added the Dichlor your CYA is now about 35, and your min/target FC levels are 2/5.

Hahaha. As if it were that easy. She added 2 bags of the dichlor, and 3/4 bag (I don't know why) of the MPS.

At this point, it's probably just easier to note the levels in the morning.
'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

For your amusement: new numbers.

OK, the pH and alkalinity are still low.

The chlorine is now off the chart at 10.

CYA is at a cool 0.

Balance the alka and pH, let the chlorine burn off, and then add CYA?

The water is blue-ing up, but it's foggy still.

After two pounds of dichlor your CYA will be around 15, which is too low to register on the test. As you said, use some trichlor until CYA is up a bit higher; pool calc says a cumulative two pounds will add another 20, putting you at 35 which for a northern state like NY is a reasonable place to be. After that, bleach. Save the tabs for vacations.

Trichlor is worthless for shocking to clear the water, however, which is what you need right now. Use bleach for that.
--paulr

PaulR said:
After two pounds of dichlor your CYA will be around 15, which is too low to register on the test. As you said, use some trichlor until CYA is up a bit higher; pool calc says a cumulative two pounds will add another 20, putting you at 35 which for a northern state like NY is a reasonable place to be. After that, bleach. Save the tabs for vacations.

Trichlor is worthless for shocking to clear the water, however, which is what you need right now. Use bleach for that.
--paulr

Paul, do you mean Dichlor?

frustratedpoolmom said:
PaulR said:

--paulr

Paul, do you mean Dichlor?

No, I meant the trichlor "bullet tabs" because of this:

antipode said:
OK, here's the rub: I returned the Black Algaecide and the copper orb. NY, however, won't allow chlorine returns, so I'm stuck with the chlorine tabs. I don't want to throw the $$ away, so I figure I can use the tabs, and when the CYA levels in crease, I can augment with bleach. When the CYA levels get higher, then I can reduce the CYA levels. Sound reasonable? (Next season, I'll go straight for the bleach/ CY yin-yang.)
So, basically, yes it sounds reasonable to use the tabs to bring the CYA up.

If there's still some dichlor left that would be faster, but I thought it was all gone.
--paulr

BUT, the pool is foggy and looks a little green.

What's wrong?

Antipode,

What's basically wrong is that you and/or your fiance' do not believe the advice you are being given.

I don't mean this to be offensive in the least but I am puzzled that you still post for advice which you have no intention of following.

Both you and your fiance' should start reading the articles up in pool school. It will help you better understand pool water chemistry and, hopefully, convince you both that the help you are getting here is the finest pool advice on the net. In short, this stuff really works.

If the two of you cannot believe that bleach will get your pool crystal clear, then you do not believe the basic principles taught on the forum.

Again, I really hope I am not being offensive but you need to make a decision whether to follow the advice here or not.

duraleigh said:
BUT, the pool is foggy and looks a little green.

What's wrong?

Antipode,

What's basically wrong is that you and/or your fiance' do not believe the advice you are being given.

I don't mean this to be offensive in the least but I am puzzled that you still post for advice which you have no intention of following.

Both you and your fiance' should start reading the articles up in pool school. It will help you better understand pool water chemistry and, hopefully, convince you both that the help you are getting here is the finest pool advice on the net. In short, this stuff really works.

If the two of you cannot believe that bleach will get your pool crystal clear, then you do not believe the basic principles taught on the forum.

Again, I really hope I am not being offensive but you need to make a decision whether to follow the advice here or not.

To rephrase what Dave is saying, what's wrong is you aren't using bleach to maintain your SHOCK level - For a CYA of 40 that level is 16 - and you will use the Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach to add to reach 16, and hold it there, until the FC holds overnight and the water is clear.

Every time you allow the FC to drop below 16, you take 2 steps backwards. If you want to make progress, follow the instructions for How to Shock Your Pool and Defeating Algae. Maintaining shock level with bleach is what will clear your pool.

frustratedpoolmom said:
To rephrase what Dave is saying, what's wrong is you aren't using bleach to maintain your SHOCK level - For a CYA of 40 that level is 16 - and you will use the Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach to add to reach 16, and hold it there, until the FC holds overnight and the water is clear.

That may be part of what's throwing me: I've read some of the articles in "Pool School" and didn't read anything about "shock level."

I think I've been targeting chlorine numbers for regular maintenance.

So, to shock, I want 16?

Does TA, pH, or CYA have a different "shock level" also?

And where can I find an article here on "shock level?" (I read "Shocking your Pool" but didn't see a FC level.)

Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to follow-up:

My CYA is today at 20 (is that right that it dropped 20 in one day?) and my FC is at 10.

But the pool is still cloudy and getting greener.

According to the chlorine chart, my shock FC level should be 10.

Also, it's going to rain hard later today.

One of the tests is an error. To be safe, keep shocking to 16, especially with rain coming.

You are running the filter 24/7, brushing, backwashing, etc?

CYA doesn't drop by 1/2 overnight, unless you drained out 50% of your water and replaced with fresh.

antipode said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
The only way to lower CYA is water replacement. Anything over 50 you will have trouble maintaining clear water.
I figured on that.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Often the tablets alone do not maintain a good residual FC to keep the pool clear, so make sure you still maintain FC levels according to the CYA chart - even if that means adding bleach in addition to the tablets.
OK, so I will add some 6% bleach when necessary, right?

frustratedpoolmom said:
So confirm which shock bags she added, if she added the Dichlor your CYA is now about 35, and your min/target FC levels are 2/5.

Hahaha. As if it were that easy. She added 2 bags of the dichlor, and 3/4 bag (I don't know why) of the MPS.

At this point, it's probably just easier to note the levels in the morning.
'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.

Now you're getting it...It is so easy...5 minutes per day...test add liquid chlorine or bleach as needed. Swim! I vacuume on Saturdays!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.