Opened newly built pool for first time- TF-100 newbie

Jul 1, 2013
New Jersey
Hey Everyone,
Had my pool built late last year and didn't have a chance to use it before she was closed for the winter. Finally opened her up a few days ago with TF-100 kit in hand. Great and thorough kit, wanted to run my numbers past you guys and see what you think.

FC=1
CC=1.5
CH=75
TA=70
CYA= filled tube and could still see black dot, but it was cloudy

I'm assuming i need to SLAM first and bring my FC up to about 10. According to Pool Math i'll need 3 gallons of 6% bleach to do so.

Do i pour bleach direct into pool or through skimmer?
Should my SWG be on and generating at the same time?
Am i correct in thinking i should focus on my FC number and then see where all the other values fall?
Should i be performing all of the tests of the full TF-100 kit on a daily basis while adjusting my numbers?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for helping a newbie out! :thumleft:

The lack of CYA and the high CC is a little concerning.

Do this: Add 10ppm of FC and retest FC and CC after 15-30 mintues and report back.

Pour the bleach slowing in front of a return jet
Turn the SWG off
Really should check the pH ... that might be the first adjustment (after the above mentioned 10ppm test)
You do not need to do all of them.

Have you read much of Pool School or the eBook?
All of your questions are specifically answered there ;)

The lack of CYA and the high CC is a little concerning.

Do this: Add 10ppm of FC and retest FC and CC after 15-30 mintues and report back.

Pour the bleach slowing in front of a return jet
Turn the SWG off
Really should check the pH ... that might be the first adjustment (after the above mentioned 10ppm test)
You do not need to do all of them.

Have you read much of Pool School or the eBook?
All of your questions are specifically answered there ;)

Thanks for the input. I did start reading pool school, just a lot to absorb in a short time and didn't want my pool turning green. Lol

So added what pool math told me (Walmart 6% bleach) and retested after 30 minutes.
Here are my results.

FC= 11
CC = 0
PH= 8.2

Okay great the cc's are gone! So ammonia is not a concern. Now I suggest you start dissolving cya into the pool and lower your pH

Great. Stabilizer into the sock shortly. Thanks.

Should I keep my FC's high at SLAM levels while the cya is doing its thing or let the FC's level off?

Also, should I keep my swg off at this point or turn her back on?

Thanks for your help!

You can do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test too see if there is anything still in the pool.

If the water is clear, no algae, and you pass the OCLT then no need to SLAM.

Water is currently clear. Will perform OCLT tonight and report back.

Should I hold off on adding stabilizer overnight tonight while performing the OCLT? Steps say check FC 30 minutes after adding any chemicals. Not sure if stabilizer is included in this or if it just means chlorine chemicals.

Thanks! :)

I'm back...

been doing OK, but having CYA issues is seems. Here are my test results from this morning:

FC= 2.5
CC=0
TA= 70
CYA= Filled tube and still saw black dot clearly
PH= 7.8

I know i need my FC slightly higher, but what would be the best way to correct the CYA issue? I'm not sure if i need to raise or lower it as i'm not really getting a reading within the tube at all.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just wanted to update with my new numbers as of last night... coming along. Need to up my CYA a bit more (what a pain waiting for all of it to dissolve). Thanks for all the help so far!

FC= 6.5
CC= 0
TA= 70
CYA= 30
PH= 7.5

Quick question, Rained pretty heavy few days ago and pool water is really high. I want to get rid of some of it to bring it back to normal level on skimmer, but scared to do so as I think CYA will drop. Any help here would be great.... do i backwash, dump to waste, just leave it for now?

Thanks!

If you frequently massage the sock, you can have it dissolved in less than a day.

If you ever drain water, you will lower the CYA and CH a bit. But 2" from an average pool depth of 4 feet is only 4% reduction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.