Opened Cover Got Rained On

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
Last night I went out to relax in my hot tub. I only unfolded my cover half way because it was drizzling. I finally got too cold with my rain soaked head and got out and went back inside. I went to get my 1 oz of 10% chlorine and dumped it in. Carried my measuring cup back in and in the process got a work phone call. Well, I forgot I had left my cover half open and the drizzle became rain. A few hours later as I was going to bed I noticed my cover was half unfolded and immediately went out to flip it back over. Boy, was that half really heavy with rain water. My cover is only 2 months old. What do I do now?

Well, the underside of the half that was folded over and exposed to the rain weighed a “ton”.

I realize water vapor absorption by the underside is normal. I’m wondering if an inch of rainfall on the exposed underside of my cover is something I should make a special effort to dry out? I could barely fold it back over to close it as it was so heavy.

Last edited:
If you get a sunny day you could turn it over and let it evaporate. You are in VA it is too cold for mildew/mold.

Between rain on the outside and evaporation on the inside, my cover was usually some form of wet. I loved soaking in bad weather and many times it got soaked like yours, but open on purpose. It'll be fine.

HA! I went out to do my weekly AquaClarity and shock this morning and the cover had returned to its "lightness" over night. Here's what Mr Genius here has concluded. When I had the cover
flipped over exposing just the bottom half to the rain, it filled that side up with rain water. It did not pass through the top of the cover as I have copiously treated the fabric with 303
Fabric Protector. So I just had a half cover full of rain water that was trapped and had no place to go. Once I had mustered up the strength to flip that one side back over to the closed
position, the trapped water slowly drained out into my hot tub. It must have really rained and blew as I got a bunch of leaves to get out this morning. On the bright side, I probably won't
have to add any water this week.

I hope some of you find this entertaining. Ignorance can cause problems. Stupidity can be dangerous.

Protip: donate a baseball hat for hot tubbing in bad weather. It'll keep the rain/snow out of your face, unlike a woolly.

Then the only question is how low do you have to sink depending on how bad the storm is. ;)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Protip: donate a baseball hat for hot tubbing in bad weather. It'll keep the rain/snow out of your face, unlike a woolly.

Then the only question is how low do you have to sink depending on how bad the storm is. ;)
You are so right!!! Where the heck is my baseball cap????

Also, I got down so low that the water started to get in my ears. It felt so good seeing the leaves blowing around and I was 103. The "wet head" drove me back into my living room.

Thank you for the baseball cap suggestion.

I'm gonna be a "PRO" soon!

Reactions: JoeSelf and Newdude
My cover has drain holes on the underside.
If you’re still concerned you can unzip it & remove the inserts. Its a good idea to check that they are properly sealed anyway. The foam shouldn’t become water logged unless the vapor barrier is compromised.

My cover has drain holes on the underside.
If you’re still concerned you can unzip it & remove the inserts. Its a good idea to check that they are properly sealed anyway. The foam shouldn’t become water logged unless the vapor barrier is compromised.
My styrofoam is fine. It's just that the upside down cover was holding water. LOL

It is fine. Light as a feather this morning. Well, not that light but you get my point...

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It got a freshwater bath! No worries!
I rinse the underside of mine off with the hose every now & then in the summer then let it get some sun.

A lot of times if my tub is getting a little low, and a big rain is coming I open mine on purpose to fill it a bit. My lid also has drain holes on the underside toward the middle and if it feels heavy I'll stand one up in the middle for a bit to let it drain.
The baseball hat is a good idea, we use them for light rain, and an umbrella for a bit harder rain as long as its not too windy.
IMG_6979.JPGIMG_8216.JPG

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.