Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Our pool company always comes and does the official opening. They are coming next week, so my water isn’t moving yet. (Have to stay on their opening and closing or we are screwed if we ever need maintenance).

Opened to crystal clear water. Yay. I’m going to get my vacuum in and thinking I should give a good brush and chlorinate, let my not stir it up. I’m just wondering if I should wait until water is moving. We had really nice weather last week and I’m eager to get chlorine in that water.

You already did like 80% of the opening! Why do you need a company??:cool:

What is the temperature of the water?

Doesn't really matter too much if it's still cold enough (below 60), but might be good to get some in there now that the water is exposed to the sun. Just disturb the water with brushing to disperse the chlorine.

Reactions: dfwnoob
Welcome BACK Krista !!!!!! We aren't letting that puppy get away from you. No ma'am. Not after last time. :)

Now that the sun is on the pool, it will burn up FC. You likely have next to no CYA also, but we need the pump to mix it first for an accurate reading.

Keep the pool at 5ppm FC this week until the pump is running and we can adjust the CYA to better protect the FC. It may burn off quickly until then. Mix it up with the brush after adding.

I'm in the same boat and also in Illinois. My pool will be opened way early this year, due to the mild winter, and not being able to keep any kind of cover on it. A week ago it got really warm here, so I knew it would be bad if I didn't jump on it. Problem is I'm not ready to open it just yet. I have to completely service my filter first, new sand and new multiport valve. So I went to the pool store and bought 8 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine to keep putting in until I get it all ready and hooked up. I walked around the pool pouring the chlorine in around the perimeter. Then to circulate it without the pump, I threw my electric robot vacuum in. I figured since it flies around in a pattern like a spirograph, sucking water in and blowing it back out as it goes, that it would do a fine job of stirring up the water. Biggest thing is circulation. My water was clear when I started, and is still clear a week later. It's just a little cloudy from the dirt on the bottom getting stirred up. I literally live in the middle of farmland, so all the farming activity kicks up tons of dirt, and it always goes in my pool. :cry: I'm also testing my water to make sure it stays within parameters. So far so good. FC is 10, ph 7.4, TA 80. Never done this before, but I think it's gonna work. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Welcome BACK Krista !!!!!! We aren't letting that puppy get away from you. No ma'am. Not after last time. :)

Now that the sun is on the pool, it will burn up FC. You likely have next to no CYA also, but we need the pump to mix it first for an accurate reading.

Keep the pool at 5ppm FC this week until the pump is running and we can adjust the CYA to better protect the FC. It may burn off quickly until then. Mix it up with the brush after adding.
Thank you! This is what I needed to hear. I was worried about the sun too, I covered the pool back up. Overcast today anyway. Tomorrow will brush, vacuum and chlorinate. I’m hesitant to add any cya until it’s circulating. Would you advise I wait on that?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.