Nov 16, 2020
Montreal, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,
With the Covid still going on and the fact that we don't own a car, I have bought most of the chemicals needed for the pool online.

However, when you compare the prices on Amazon to those in-stores (Canadian Tire, Rona, Home-Depot, Lowes, etc), they are WAY over.
The problem is that those stores (well, in Quebec, Canada at least) have not kept up with the online shipping/ordering reality. Most stores
will ask for a flat starting shipping fee of like 70$. Also, most chemicals are not "available for online orders" and only available in-stores.

Does anyone know websites with good prices to order chemicals online ? The "recommended ones" in Google are mostly selling the same
items that are on Amazon with the same prices (which is normal). I don't mind stacking some chlorine pucks up if necessary, but paying 3-5x
the price that I could get in-stores for Shock Pouches is frustrating.

Also, I have tried to find hydrochloric/muriatic acid online and can't find any except on chemical/lab supplier websites. Last time I had a ride
to go to a "specialized pool store", the guy didn't even understood what I was asking for and only pointed to the "pH Down (r)(tm)" 500g
sodium bisulfate @ 19,99$ saying "that's what you need". Is muriatic acid still available or it's getting replaced with trademarked stuff without
ingredients listed ? Like that 2kg of "Alkanity Control" @ 14,99$ I saw which is sodium bicarbonate that you can buy for less than 5$ for 5kg.

Thanks,
O.

The answer to your question is go to the local stores and buy the chemicals there.. I never buy any chemicals online, it is outrageous in price if you can find it... The only one I do buy online is CYA in 25 pound bulk...

I am not sure what stores you have up there, anything like lowes, home depot, hardware stores? We get everything for the pool from those type stores...

On a separate question.. How do you get around without a car? I have 4 cars for 3 of us and I really do not understand how you make it through the day without a car.. Is it by choice or did you lose a car? How do you get groceries? How do you get to work?

I have to drive 30 minutes to work so no way I could be without a vehicle.. when I first read your statement I really could not fathom being without a vehicle... :)

Big city life Casey. People live without cars all the time.

But to answer the original question, chemicals like chlorine and muriatic acid are very hard to ship, and therefore very expensive to ship. You will need to find a way to get to a store that sells them buy them the old fashioned way.

Big city life Casey. People live without cars all the time.

But to answer the original question, chemicals like chlorine and muriatic acid are very hard to ship, and therefore very expensive to ship. You will need to find a way to get to a store that sells them buy them the old fashioned way.

I do not know how people do it, no way I would make it...

I almost did not buy my house because the nearest neighbor was 75 feet away.. To close for comfort but I have dealt with it.... :)

To the OP, I would go to one of the local stores and get MA and other needed supplies, just to expensive to ship if they will...

@cowboycasey
As Katodude said, it is because I'm in an urban area with access to buses/subway. Also, with the COVID, I now work from home. That's why we bought a house in the suburb last year (hence the new pool ;)). For errands, I use Uber or a cab, or get the stuff shipped here.
I was expecting your answers to just go to the stores directly. I was hoping that maybe someone knew some super nice and *secret* suppliers only shared to cool guys like us :cool:

O.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.