Susie6915

Aug 1, 2019
Ontario
I have no clue what to do with a pool and the more I read the more confusing it is!!!! I was hoping it would be simple but it doesn’t seem like it is. Starting to regret getting a pool. There is way too much info to read and because of that I find it way too overwhelming. I don’t even know where to begin. Very very discouraged.

Slow down.... first off, welcome!

Now tell us what kind of pool you have, and the equipment it uses? How do you chlorinate?

What condition is your water in now? Clear? Cloudy? Green??

If reading the information overwhelms you, try some of our videos--

Testing is so important for pool care, and getting a good test is difficult in Canada. Do you by chance have a US address you can use and then you can get the better kit for less money (TF-100, www.tftestkits.net)

Let us know what the problems are?

Maddie :flower:

Nothing really that confusing once you break it down. Chlorine, chlorine, chlorine. That is what keeps your pool sanitary and clear. Your pool gets chlorine by you manually dumping it in every day or else having a saltwater chlorine generator which makes chlorine by splitting saltwater into its elemental parts. The level of chlorine depends on your cyanuric (CYA) level. The more CYA, the more chlorine. We have a chart to help you balance it. The rest of the #s sort of fall into place. You'll want to monitor pH as well. A good, accurate test kit is the key. Test strips are bad. Pool store testing is bad.

Reactions: frogabog
Welcome Susie!

It's true, there's a lot to absorb here. When you take it in small pieces at a time, it's actually quite manageable, BUT: you don't even have to!

There's no TFP rule that insists that you have to do all your homework and reading before asking for help. This is a very active site with a lot of helpful members. If you find the reading and videos overwhelming, just come back and ask questions. You WILL get answers.

If there is a rule, it's that we need you to arm yourself with a recommended test kit. In nearly all cases, the investment of a kit more than pays for itself. The biggest challenge will be getting a kit in Canada, and because of that challenge we'll be patient.

Please stick around and ask questions in the meantime - you'll be surprised how simple it really is.

Reactions: frogabog
I have no clue what to do with a pool and the more I read the more confusing it is!!!! I was hoping it would be simple but it doesn’t seem like it is. Starting to regret getting a pool. There is way too much info to read and because of that I find it way too overwhelming. I don’t even know where to begin. Very very discouraged.
Dont be discouraged. I was in the same place you are just last week. Like you, I'm completely new at this and I know it can get overwhelming, however, I think you'll find that this forum is full of people who are extremely knowledgeable, are very friendly and patient, and have the willingness to help newbies like us. I was actually surprised at how quickly after posting I had replies from people wanting to help. It feels like it's a lot but as mentioned above the TFP process is very simple. Honestly I joined the forum because my local pool store failed me and my pool was horrible. I joined here hoping I could give a brief description and be told how to fix it, instead I was showed not only why my pool chemistry was off, but how to diagnose and fix it. There's power in that. It's a good feeling when you can be in control of your pool chemistry. Sure it sounds complicated, but I think that's because we've come to rely on our local pool store to test and then sell us the products they "think" will correct the issue. Following the guidance of members here, first thing I did was buy a test kit. Make sure you buy the one recommended as I found there are a lot of junk ones out there. I tested the water and posted the results. I was explained why things were the way they were. I also read the posts on Pool School here on the forum. My water has been crystal clear but more important, everyone in my family noticed the water "feels" good, not overchlorinated or slimy. Hang in there. Unfortunately, like you I'm still a newbie and still learning so my advice ends here. It gets better and in no time, like me, you'll wonder why it ever took you so long to find this community.

It was difficult for me at first too. But then one day, it was like a light bulb popped on in my head and it all made sense. In fact, it's so easy now, it's almost like an afterthought. It all becomes second nature.
Good luck!

What @YippeeSkippy said... SLOW DOWN.. And Welcome!

I'll put it in 5 easy steps.. check them off one at a time

1) what condition is your pool in?.. what does it look like?
2) What kind of equipment do you have.? just post it. you can figure out what "put it in signature" means later.
3) What are you doing now, what do you put in your pool, Nothing? Everything? give us a list
4) Give us the results of your tests... and how you test. If all you can do is take your water to a pool store that's fine, until you get a test kit ordered. Forum help is standardized off a particular test kit.
5) take another breathe ... that's it for now

That wasn't so bad was it? You'll learn the rest as you go. we will give 5 more steps later :D ;)

Last edited:
Not all information on this site and pool school is applicable to your pool, not realizing that might be one reason you feel overwhelmed. But this is why we need to know more about your own pool.

The test kit we ask for is because if we all perform the tests the same way, with the same type of test kit, we can trust the results and advice you on what's best for your pool.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.