OK to Recirculate?

Jun 9, 2015
NJ
I'm having my concrete deck around the pool resurfaced and it required grinding out the layer of stain in the concrete.

This resulted in quite a bit of dust and residue in the pool. I was advised by the contractor to not run the pump, and they
will vacuum pool when project is complete. This company specializes in deck refurbishing.

I am uncomfortable not running the pump for 3-4 days, and also not being able to add chlorine.
Would it be OK to switch my filter/pump to recirculate and add chlorine?

My other option is to put a cover on the pool to at least slow the chlorine usage until work is complete.

Thanks!

I'm having my concrete deck around the pool resurfaced and it required grinding out the layer of stain in the concrete.

This resulted in quite a bit of dust and residue in the pool. I was advised by the contractor to not run the pump, and they
will vacuum pool when project is complete. This company specializes in deck refurbishing.

I am uncomfortable not running the pump for 3-4 days, and also not being able to add chlorine.
Would it be OK to switch my filter/pump to recirculate and add chlorine?

My other option is to put a cover on the pool to at least slow the chlorine usage until work is complete.

Thanks!

I would be very careful! When we had our hardscaping done in 2008 there was a whole lot of concrete dust in the pool from cutting all the pavers. Running the pump caused the pool to cloud up due to all the stone dust. Running the vacuum immediately clogged the filter.

If if there is a layer of dust on the bottom of the pool, I would shut the bottom drain(s) off and just recirculate with the skimmers for now. That may help some.

Let them vacuum the the junk out when they’re done. Good luck!

An update...added a gallon of 10% bleach daily while recirculating and the pool was holding the chlorine with no CC.
On the last day, the contractor rigged his own Hayward pump to vacuum the pool to waste.
Water is still a bit cloudy, so I'll be running the pump/filter while keeping a close eye on the pressure gauge.
Thanks to all for their recommendations.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.