OK, I guess we're doing this....what's next

Do you have a pool vacuum? If not, you should get one of those as well. Best to have something to back up the robot and you could use it now.

The SLAM requires you to be brushing the walls and vacuuming the floor (or cleaning with a robot I suppose), but you should get chlorine into the pool ASAP to make sure it doesn't go greener.

I would recommend adjusting your pH to 7.2 and then getting the FC up to 16ppm. If you can source a vacuum and hose and a brush/pole today it would be a good idea.

Reactions: kimkats and mack81
That's what the filter is for. :) Just keep an eye on the PSI and backwash when it gets to 25% higher than when it's freshly backwashed.

Don't forget to adjust the pH before adding the FC. Once FC is above 10 the pH test shows artificially high. You'll want to dial in the pH to 7.2 first. I believe Borax is the best way to up the pH a bit without affecting the TA too much (50 is a good number to start).

Reactions: mack81
If you want to vacuum to waste its ok and will help in bringing further down the CYA, you just need to leave the autofill on or a hose running to keep filling. Just no more than 1/4 of volume or you will need to add CYA.

If you have a manual vacuum use it to suck up the crud on the pool floor. Is it just algae or do you also have leaves down there?

There’s definitely both, I vacuumed a bit today but after a while the water gets so green I can no longer see where it is in the deep end, ordered robot on Thursday so hopefully it arrives soon!

Do you have a pool leaf rake? It's like a net with a wide plastic mouth. You could try fishing any leaves out there with that prior to vacuuming.

There’s definitely both, I vacuumed a bit today but after a while the water gets so green I can no longer see where it is in the deep end, ordered robot on Thursday so hopefully it arrives soon!
Its good that you are stirring the gunk up. That will allow it to get captured by the filter. If it all sits undisturbed on the bottom of the pool you will be slamming forever!

Either way, adjust the pH, get that FC up to slam level, start testing multiple times a day and bringing it back up. Vacuum and brush, get the pool that cloudy blue stage. Getting gunk out is important, but killing the algae that's growing is more so!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, update!

Been SLAMMING for 4 days now, I may technically be done, water is clear today, FC didn't drop overnight and CC is 0.5.

There is still some debris on the floor that I need to vacuum out (raining today) and the robot arrives tomorrow, so will get it to work right away!

Thanks to everyone who provided input - much appreciated!

As there is some debris in the pool and I won't be able to vacuum today should I keep FC at SLAM level until tomorrow?

Some pics of my journey:
1. Opening Day
2. Mid-CYA draining
3. today!

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpg
    IMG_1318.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1330.jpg
    IMG_1330.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 15
It is certainly blue, but is it clear? So clear that with no wind you have trouble telling there's water in the pool? You can clearly see the liner pattern / main drain / etc. on the bottom? Quarter thrown into the deep end and you could tell heads/tails on it? :D

Reactions: kimkats
:D
yeah it’s pretty clear, can easily see liner pattern, main drain, etc. Yesterday was slightly cloudy blue but today is clear.
Difficult to see in pictures, maybe here:

Attachments

• 38DB7226-A660-4BE9-86E5-B8A442C989C7.jpeg
    38DB7226-A660-4BE9-86E5-B8A442C989C7.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 16
Yep, that's pretty clear. I can see some dirt, etc. on the bottom of the pool.

I would recommend giving it a final vacuum / brushing while the pool is at SLAM levels and keep them there to be sure you don't have any dead algae pooling up on the bottom that you think is dirt. Then if nothing new shows up you should be good to go back down to maintenance levels!

You'll want to test the FC and pH daily for a while, and add enough to get to the top of maintenance levels when you get near the bottom of maintenance levels. This usually means adding some chlorine every day or two. After a while you should get a feel for how much you're adding and can dial back the testing to once every 2-3 days instead. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.