Ok , I guess I’ll slam...

Apr 30, 2018
louisville
A83C3598-5AE6-4A42-99D2-CA963DAEB896.jpg740FD3A5-C6B4-4DD1-953E-9449C9A556B5.jpg9877A434-B2F2-457E-A2ED-E2A3D3C2C3BC.jpg
First off you all are awesome. I’m a new pool owner ( never before pool owner). I had a 11.5k gal in-ground installed oct -April. Water was funky green and nasty. No pool school as they kinda left me high and dry. I had a trichlor chlorinator with 3 pucks going. I shocked initially (before I discover TFP) with trichlor shock. Pool still looked cloudy and ugly. After TFP discovery I shocked with 2 gal 10% bleach. Waaaaaay better results. Finally my tf-100 came in. I turned off the chlorinator. Pool cleared up crystal clear. Chlorine fell to 1 ppm.
Fc -1
cya-30
ph7.5
ta-110

bumped fc to 6 ppm yesterday morning. Pool looks amazing. I started noticing a very tiny bit of green forming in the edges a corners.hmmm. Bumped my FC to 12 per the cya chart before bed. Verified with test. Fc drops to 9.5 over night. Guess I’m slammmg?.... thanks again guys

Mike

Well look at you Mike! :party: That is some crystal clear, sparkling water. Fantastic! :goodjob: You know what's missing now right? A TFP Supporter badge next to your profile name so that you can upload more pictures this season. :wink:

As for the FC loss overnight, it does appear something happened, but you are obviously well-armed to handle it. A SLAM shouldn't take you long at all. After that, make sure to keep the FC a bit more elevated and never let it drop below 3 and you should be fine.

What a beautiful pool Mike!!! Wow! Clean lines... it will take you no time for that pool to look impeccable! If you need us, we'll be here!

Vacation = tabs. Tabs have CYA in them. CYA does not dissipate, without manually lowering, whether through pump or splash out, and re-raising the water level.

At the end of the day, it is personal preference, but I like to keep my CYA above 30, but well below 50.

Wonder how long that would take to go up 10ppm?
You can see that in the Poolmath Calculator towards the bottom "Effects of Adding Chemicals". Since each tab will increase CYA by about 2.5 ppm in your sized pool, one stack of tabs will probably increase CYA by about 10-12 or so.

Ah, ok got it. I have SWG and didn't think about the cya from tabs as I never think about tabs and CYA. [emoji295]?
Vacation = tabs. Tabs have CYA in them. CYA does not dissipate, withhold manually lowering, whether through pump or splash out, and re-raising the water level.

At the end of the day, it is personal preference, but I like to keep my CYA above 30, but well below 50.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Go another day off shock therapy or call it good?
We generally don't go an extra day just to be sure. If you pass all 3 criteria (I know you can't validate the CC at the moment) - you're good to go. I would be surprised if your CCs were elevated, but you can check once your reagent arrives next week. Your water wasn't that bad to begin with, so it's not really surprising you passed the OCLT so quickly. Good job.

CYA going in.. I rechecked today and if the dot is completely gone I'm sitting round 23ish ppm. I'm starting with just shy of a pound even though it calls for over a pound to get to 40. I seem to be losing a lot of chlorine. Does it take direct sun to burn off or is it just daylight in general? Another OCLT showed 1.5ppm loss where the night before after a slam showed .5 loss. CC this morning was at 1. My pool is like drinking water clear. Can excessive pollen have a big effect? Its crazy bad here right now.

View attachment 76358

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.