Oily Sheen in Pool

vgomez1

Silver Supporter
Oct 13, 2017
NTX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool looked fine yesterday but when I came outside this evening, I noticed an oily sheen on the pool surface. It covers about 1/3 of the pool surface, so it's significant. I mowed the lawn yesterday and didn't clear the clippings, but other than that, not sure what it could be. Pool is balanced, just checked. Going to backwash and bump FC a little - already at 6.0. Any suggestions on what caused it or how to resolve are appreciated. Thx.

There is always the off chance that someone used your pool while you were not home. Other than that, has there been any rain recently? Sometimes chemicals used on lawns may run-off into your pool when it rains.

We're in NTX - we were fortunate enough to avoid the dangerous weather but got plenty of rain. Lots of lawns mowed yesterday and today, so that could be it. Thx for the help!

The only thing I'm aware of that could put oil in the water is a bad heat pump. It could let refrigeration oil in. I don't see a heat pump listed in your signature.

Is the water higher than usual? Could've loosened a film that used to be above the water level.

Next time you go near a pool store, buy a scum ball. It just floats around and absorbs any oils.

The only thing I'm aware of that could put oil in the water is a bad heat pump. It could let refrigeration oil in. I don't see a heat pump listed in your signature.

Is the water higher than usual? Could've loosened a film that used to be above the water level.

Next time you go near a pool store, buy a scum ball. It just floats around and absorbs any oils.
Thanks. The water is filled to the drain, so it is high. I have a gas heater, not sure if that's what you mean. I will buy a scum ball tomorrow. Thx again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.