Ohio- planning for a new pool in 2021

nfreev

Jul 27, 2020
NW Ohio
We are going to be looking for information to best plan for, and budget, for a new pool for next Spring/Summer. We have decided on a fiberglass pool, somewhere close to the 16'x40' with a diving board. We've contacted a few local pool builders/suppliers in the area and are just beginning the process.

We are out in the country with a large lot, no worries about property lines or what to do with the extra dirt. We have a 20'x50' patio behind our house that I'd like to use for an extension of the pool deck. It is about 18" above grade, and I'm thinking that with a deep end (8ft or 8'-6") I should have enough spoils from the excavation to have enough to make up the elevation around the pool. Using our existing patio should save us on cost for any concrete by just going with the "included" 4ft around the pool that seems to be standard. If the pool builder will let me sub-contract the concrete work, I'd prefer to do that since I have a couple close friends and family members who have done concrete around pools as part of their businesses. If it will affect the warranty, I'll just play it safe and go with the 4ft deck as standard butted up against our patio.

I also have thoughts of getting information from TFP on what the best pumps and filters I should be requesting. I've started going through the
Pool School, have much to learn: chemicals, testing, covers, electrical, plumbing...

I'm curious to know if it will save a significant amount of money to just have a pool builder supply and install the pool, and DIY the rest - electrical, pump/filter install, plumbing to the pumps/filters, concrete, fence, etc. I know the DIY route is much longer, but I've got a long planning horizon to work with, and I feel comfortable doing most of the labor.

Thanks in advance to TFP and all who are sharing their experiences and knowledge for us newbies. I'm sure many others besides myself are grateful for your time and generosity in sharing your experiences.

The following are general guidelines for poolbuilders (PBs) but you will find exceptions.

PBs dont do electric or concrete, though they have subs they prefer to work with.

The more you stray from the PBs preferred subs, the more you could suffer with schedule. As you go out on your own with subs, if your subs cause delays, then your PB will not be pleased.

PBs will sell a package, pool/shell along with pump, plumbing, etc. They will typically allow you to change items from the deafults, so you can still get what you want. Expect that you will possibly pay slightly over list price, as PBs might markup the parts.

Some pool parts, such as Pentair pumps, only give a warranty from your PB. DIY invalidates the warranties, unless something has changed on that.

EDIT: Your PB will do the plumbing, this effects their warranty, as if there is a leak, was it caused by something they did or you?

We have a 20'x50' patio behind our house that I'd like to use for an extension of the pool deck. It is about 18" above grade, and I'm thinking that with a deep end (8ft or 8'-6") I should have enough spoils from the excavation to have enough to make up the elevation around the pool.

Can you explain the plan for this fill dirt and 18"? I worry that your plans are to take the dirt, build up teh surface up 18", and then pour concrete on top of this, which is a bad idea in general

And do yourself a favor. Go out to the proposed pool area, and check out the shade line of the yard as it moves throughout the day. The perfect pool spot is in 100% full sun from 10am to 4pm at least, and for many includes getting some shade in the early evening.

The following are general guidelines for poolbuilders (PBs) but you will find exceptions.

PBs dont do electric or concrete, though they have subs they prefer to work with.

The more you stray from the PBs preferred subs, the more you could suffer with schedule. As you go out on your own with subs, if your subs cause delays, then your PB will not be pleased.

PBs will sell a package, pool/shell along with pump, plumbing, etc. They will typically allow you to change items from the deafults, so you can still get what you want. Expect that you will possibly pay slightly over list price, as PBs might markup the parts.

Some pool parts, such as Pentair pumps, only give a warranty from your PB. DIY invalidates the warranties, unless something has changed on that.

EDIT: Your PB will do the plumbing, this effects their warranty, as if there is a leak, was it caused by something they did or you?

Can you explain the plan for this fill dirt and 18"? I worry that your plans are to take the dirt, build up teh surface up 18", and then pour concrete on top of this, which is a bad idea in general
Yes, that WAS the plan. I've been reading a lot online, and watching as many pool building videos and builder videos as I can get in. While doing that I did learn that backfilling dirt around a pool is not good, as it is likely to settle. Instead, the videos I watched used either a retaining wall and/or crushed stone for the backfill when there was an elevation like what my 18" above grade is. If those end up being my choices, I will likely go with the crushed stone around the pool outside of the concrete deck. Lot's of planning and questions to be answered before I get to that point. Appreciate your input very much!
Is that why you commented that my plan to fill with dirt was a bad idea in general?

yes that was my worry about your dirt plan. And I didnt fully understand the 18" elevation that you were referring to.

Just an FYI, if the ground above yoru pool is higherthan teh pool by tabout 18", install a small retaining wall. This creates permanent seating options, and places for people to put down towels, bags, etc. This works out very well. This is an example

yes that was my worry about your dirt plan. And I didnt fully understand the 18" elevation that you were referring to.

Just an FYI, if the ground above yoru pool is higherthan teh pool by tabout 18", install a small retaining wall. This creates permanent seating options, and places for people to put down towels, bags, etc. This works out very well. This is an example

I'm the opposite of what your picture shows, the pool deck will be 18" above the surrounding grade - the top of the concrete patio is 18" above the grade behind our house.

ah, better explanation. All I can say is that you dont want to pour concrete on fill, as it will crack as ground compacts. Not terrible to simply have a couple of steps up to the pool deck, or gentle slope. But with the pool being higher than your grade behind house, be mindful of drainage. Seems like you will need french drains, etc to prevent any ponding in that area, and possibly water flooding your basement/house. Again, not a big deal, just plan drainage in advance, and things will be fine.

My pool was 12-18 inches above grade to attach to an existing patio. Back filled with gravel around the pool and under deck. Took quite a bit of gravel. #57 I think. But that is the only way to go.

Attachments

• 56440F37-2ECC-4864-BF88-AFEAF6889283.jpeg
    56440F37-2ECC-4864-BF88-AFEAF6889283.jpeg
    638.5 KB · Views: 7
  • E2419202-8D3A-4D43-B23B-07C18EF3A7B3.jpeg
    E2419202-8D3A-4D43-B23B-07C18EF3A7B3.jpeg
    831.7 KB · Views: 7
  • C21C4B4E-4EBB-47DF-916E-2167E97F4E3F.jpeg
    C21C4B4E-4EBB-47DF-916E-2167E97F4E3F.jpeg
    880.2 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.