Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Just getting opened this weekend.

30,000 gal - in ground
FC 22
CYA 100
Ph 6.4
TA ?
Usually have no CYA following winter. I added to bring to 40. Its way high. Must have been sime residual this year. Should have checked before adding.
TA test sample turned reddish pink following R0008. So, I'm not sure where the exact level is.
I will replace some water when I get to clear enough to vac to waste. Suggestions?

Just getting opened this weekend.

30,000 gal - in ground
FC 22
CYA 100
Ph 6.4
TA ?
Usually have no CYA following winter. I added to bring to 40. Its way high. Must have been sime residual this year. Should have checked before adding.
TA test sample turned reddish pink following R0008. So, I'm not sure where the exact level is.
I will replace some water when I get to clear enough to vac to waste. Suggestions?
The instant pink means almost no TA. That correlates well to the low pH. You're probably actually lower than you think.

The CYA test reaction slows down in cold water. The sample should be left in the sun a while to get warm and then test it. You want to know how high the CYA is so you know how much water to replace. If over 100, use the dilution method in Step 8

You're just wasting chlorine raising FC to 22 when CYA is 100+. You'll be wasting baking soda fixing TA and borax fixing pH if you have to drain a bunch to lower the CYA. Brush and vacuum until the FC dissipates -- shouldn't take too long if the pool is full of algae. Then start pumping or vacuuming to waste. Leave at least a foot of water in the deep end so the liner doesn't shift or wrinkle.

After it's refilled, run the pump an hour or so to mix things then retest and repost and we can get you fixed up.

Thanks Richard ... I'll brush to stir up the algae to lower the FC. I'd rather not drain since its 30,000 gal. I usually replace quite a bit of water when vacuuming to waste. AND, I forgot tri-chlor adds CYA. What a mess!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.