Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

Re: Official 2017 BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, Baking and Beer thread

RE: Meatloaf

What, no gravy ?!

I like my meatloaf with BBQ sauce on it. Many people I know prefer to smother it in brown mushroom gravy. Growing up, my mom made "Italian" meatloaf (I'm 100% Italian) where should would take the left over Sunday tomato sauce and pour it over the meatloaf (which also had bits of left over Italian sausage and shredded beef from the braciole she would make)...truly a meal made of left-overs.

I'm going to have fun experimenting with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I made some modifications to fit my taste. I took some of the previous recipe, and tweaked it with another recipe, and made this tonight. I have to say, it's pretty good! Needless to say, my family will not want meatloaf for a few days. LOL
Recipe below picture:

e727f952760a288c985dee0a3a8c28f0-1.jpg

2 pounds 90% lean hamburger
1/4 pound Jimmy Dean regular sausage
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
One small yellow onion finally chopped
One medium jalapeño pepper finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces shredded jack cheese
Two large eggs
4 tablespoons ketchup
2/3 cup half-and-half
Mix well, Put in a meatloaf pan and smooth and level top.

Sauce:
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
For packed tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
Mix thoroughly pour over meatloaf before putting in oven

Bake at 350 approximately 1 hour or until 160° to 165° internal temperature....time is dependent on your oven. I recommend a reliable internal temp probe, you want it cooked but not overcooked.
ENJOY!

Nice! It's meatloaf week at TFP! Just wait until you cook one on the smoker. Mmmmmm! :chef:

Here's mine -

Cook's note - had a little smoker fail. I did not have any charcoal left and there was only a small pile of coals left in the smoker. So I lit it up and used that. I got three hours of smoke out of it for a cook temp of 250F which got my loaf to 145F. I then finished it off in a 350F oven until it reached 165F. The Stubbs BBQ Sauce was added when to the top of the loaf after the internal temperature hit 135F.

Ingredients

2B8FF561-329B-4A6B-920E-839D0C14BCA6_zpsz3krmphl.jpg

Mixed, Rubbed & Ready-To-Go!

1FF00ADE-0F1A-4D7D-8AEC-E7088D78D610_zpsktg4hzkh.jpg

TO THE SMOKER WITH YOU!

9D93FDBF-AD02-406C-B7E6-068F888BF02E_zpsnonx0jcz.jpg

FINISHED!

77E1CA33-3681-4FE5-A0BC-BD1D36813B07_zps6im1lqhb.jpg

4A9DD52B-5A01-46EB-A904-C08DB9A4966B_zpsf2jycdve.jpg

You've Been SERVED!

FF83A673-CA2F-4BF9-A490-4BFFC8D1FE7C_zps0lyp7jci.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Next time, I add more shredded cheddar. I added a glass 2 cup measure full of shredded cheddar but the loaf could have used more. Also, I used chunks of firm white cheddar (sharp) and they stayed in place, no oozing out of place. I'm half tempted to try some smoked gouda chunks next time or get really funky and use some munster cheese...

I love me some stubbs but did that package say "organic ground beef"? Oh my. You need the HEB out there : )

Yeah, it was a package of 90/10 ground beef from Costco. I'd much rather use 85/15 or 80/20 ground beef but I wanted to use up some of what I had on hand.

Mr Stubbs is a favorite of mine for ribs.

This is why the meatloaf pan with trivet is so necessary -

a323006542859c594e899ab830519457-1.jpg

All the grease and gunk goes to the bottom and the meatloaf doesn't get soggy from it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Wow, your meatloaf looks awesome! I agree, no matter how much cheese put in, I think I could have used more. I will likely make another one soon, and it will be on the keg so I will have some smoke. Totally agree on a meatloaf pan, it's unbelievable how much grease is below and it and keeps the bottom of the meatloaf perfect. Very glad I purchased one on your advice. pooldv, if I poured the grease back on the meatloaf I'm not sure my arteries could take it! LOL....

Wow, your meatloaf looks awesome! I agree, no matter how much cheese put in, I think I could have used more. I will likely make another one soon, and it will be on the keg so I will have some smoke. Totally agree on a meatloaf pan, it's unbelievable how much grease is below and it and keeps the bottom of the meatloaf perfect. Very glad I purchased one on your advice. pooldv, if I poured the grease back on the meatloaf I'm not sure my arteries could take it! LOL....

Even more delicious for lunch the next day ;)

Ok meatloafers. Here is how to let your meatloaf.

2lbs ground beef
1lb breakfast or Italian sausage
1 lb ground pork
1/2lb Shredded jack/cheddar cheese
3 eggs
Your favorite spices
I like
Garlic
Onion
Tony Chachare
Stubbs beef rub
Stubbs BBQ rub
8 or 10 chunks of cheddar or jack stuck in the middle
Smoke it with pecan at 275-300 to 160 internal temp
Boom, best meatloaf you ever had, yes that is cheese oozing out

Ok, you talked me into it. Got the ingredients this evening, and will be loafin' on Sunday

Ok, you talked me into it. Got the ingredients this evening, and will be loafin' on Sunday

You got a pan? The pan is key....

Don't forget, if you think you've added too much cheese, then add more. You can never add too much cheese...

Cheese is your friend!!!!

You got a pan? The pan is key....

I do not have a meatloaf pan per se, but we are equipped with a perforated Teflon-coated flat pan made for smoking, and a drip tray, so I think we are good :) No soggy meat here.

Now, if I may, it bothers me a little when recipe reviewers on foodnetwork.com, or wherever, say things like "OMG I loved this recipe! I cut the amount of x in half and added y and doubled the amount of z." They are not reviewing the recipe!

Having said that, I can't stand cheese. I hate the stuff. So I got a yellow onion, and red and green bell peppers to chop up in its place. Will soften them up in olive oil and garlic before mixing them in.

Having said that, I can't stand cheese. I hate the stuff.

We can't be friends anymore :suspect:

Kidding.... And yes, I hear you about the whole food reviewer thing, drives me nuts too. Either you make the recipes as-is and review or post a new one yourself. I tried to follow Danny's original recipe as closely as I could given what I had on hand. I too would likely add some onions and jalapeño next time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.