OCD Pool Equipment Layout & Chemical Automation Underway

I'll be going out for a build quote very soon in the Houston area and will have some unusual limitations for the builders. I'm not sure how they will respond.

This will be my second pool build in this area so there were many lessons learned.

My main beef with the first build was the mess they made of the equipment pad piping which I re-worked myself having paid them to do it! I'm an electrical engineer to trade but my reworking was not so OCD as yours I might add :)

Here's a brief write up of what I'll be asking them to quote for, your comments are welcomed:

124ft perimeter, (roughly 40x14 surface area tanning ledge included) pool, shallow end 4ft, deep end 6ft deep. 6 x 12ft tanning ledge at 12in below waterline.

Pool waterline to be 8” below coping top. approx. 21500 gallons

28ft perimeter (7x7 surface area) spa with coping at same level as pool coping. Spa waterline 4in above pool waterline with 12in wide overspill into pool. Spa overspill to run from 4in to 6in below coping top.

I’ll handle the drawings, the HOA permitting, the utility line check, concrete pool deck and drain work, concrete equipment pad, purchase of all electrical and gas pool equipment, electrical work at equipment pad, purchase of all water features (waterfall, bubbler, cleaner), any gas features and lines to features, gas to equipment pad heater, sprinkler re-routes.

You handle the big stuff. The dig and removal and the backfill, the steel, the piping (see below pipe schedule), the gunite including raised wall (max 12in for yard slope), the tiling (see below), the plaster (standard white), the 12in wide coping, the raised waterfall surrounds.

For tiling, please quote for 140sq ft of 4X4 basic tile. I’ll buy some nice 1x1s for the overspill, you install.

You purchase and install the 2x skimmers, 2x drains, pool jets, spa jets, fittings and pvc pipe. You can give me an option quote on the underwater lights (2 pool, 1 spa), the bubbler and the 2x waterfalls if you like but I’ll probably buy those.

No built in auto-refill is required.

I’ll require a warranty from you on pool structure and pvc piping outside of equipment pad.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Cleaned up the area so I can start punching out the big stuff.
Trying to decide if I should label the flows or not. Here is an example. I am thinking smaller arrows closer together and smaller tape would look better. What does everyone think? Label or no?

Cleaned up the area so I can start punching out the big stuff.
View attachment 111665 View attachment 111666
Trying to decide if I should label the flows or not. Here is an example. I am thinking smaller arrows closer together and smaller tape would look better. What does everyone think? Label or no?
HifiGuy84
My vote would be to label but it is certainly a personal preference. I labeled my plumbing and used four different colored "arrow tape" to indicate different aspects of the plumbing. I'm almost ashamed to show my plumbing against yours, :p but you can get an idea of what I did here.
Every time I look at this thread, I am thoroughly amazed at the professionalism of the pad build.
Thanks!
r.

Very clean looks great. Thia is the type of work you cant pay to have done. Nobody will go thru the trouble to care enough. From a fellow nutjob my hats off to you. I for one can appreciate the time and effort you out into this. And I agree the crossover would bug me I have one too and its underground and it still haunts me even though I cant see it anymore. Again nicely done my friend. Make sure to write a simple manual if you ever sell the home down the road while its still fresh in your mind
“Type of work you can’t pay to have done”. Man isn’t that the truth. It almost doesn’t matter what the trade is. Quality is incredibly difficult to find. At some point budget doesn’t even matter, thoughtful people at any price are akin to unicorns. Thinking about covering the crossover with cedar.

We built a pool last year and had a lot of trouble with the builder. Everything was built several times and I decided that I didn’t want them fixing their piping mistakes. Well I am finally getting around to doing it myself. I am most of the way there and should have the rest of the parts by next weekend. View attachment 111022
View attachment 111023View attachment 111026View attachment 111027View attachment 111028View attachment 111029View attachment 111030View attachment 111031View attachment 111032View attachment 111035
One recommendation, get some of those stamped metal number plates, and label each valve, then print a chart that has what the valve is for, and the direction of flow, laminate this and attach to the wall or that heater. A decade from now when something leaks, it will be worth gold.

Thanks for sharing your work, this is all very impressive. I'm curious as to why you chose the Rosemount system over one of the Chemtrol options, like the CH265. I'm likely headed down the Chemtrol path, but would like to understand if there are advantages to your setup.

Thanks..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.