OB Starting pool in Mesa, AZ

May 30, 2017
Mesa/AZ
After getting bids from pool companies in December, we decided to go OB. Our design is to try and cover the many generations to enjoy in the family. Its a 20x40 pool with depths of 3x5x3. On one end we will have a basketball hoop. In the middle volleyball. On the side a nice baja shelf with Pentair Bubblers. And on the end a swim up bar with sunken Ramada. My permits were approved Mid January and we started excavation soon after.
View attachment 72774

That last photo was from two weeks ago. Now I'm waiting on my subs to build the water feature, retaining walls and Ramada. Then the Decking can start. I've already been reaching out for bids on interior.
Questions for the forum:
1) once I remove the cardboard tubes from the bar stools, will the concrete be too smooth for the pebble sheen to stick to?
2) The gunite guys pulled up on the plumbing in the baja shelf. So now my bubblers sit high. Can the plaster/pebble sheen be that thick to even out the shelf and the bubblers or will the surface crack?

Bigdogmg,
Love the design. Very similar to our plans and cool to see the actual footprint and how it looks. Couple of questions....

1. How big of a deal is it to have the basketball hoop inserts on the initial drawing? I am thinking of adding one it but have heard it's something I can talk to the decking guys about when the come.
2. What did you end up doing for drainage for your sunken area? Sump pump, dry well?

Looks awesome. Keep the pictures coming.

Bigdogmg,
Love the design. Very similar to our plans and cool to see the actual footprint and how it looks. Couple of questions....

1. How big of a deal is it to have the basketball hoop inserts on the initial drawing? I am thinking of adding one it but have heard it's something I can talk to the decking guys about when the come.
2. What did you end up doing for drainage for your sunken area? Sump pump, dry well?

Looks awesome. Keep the pictures coming.

1. Not a big deal. The basketball sleeve sits back a bit from the pool wall so its not installed with the pool gunite. Yes my decking guy will be installing it.
2. Dry well. We just finished final prep of the footings for the Ramada. Once that passes inspection and we pour, my sub will then dig an additional hole about 4'x4' and 3 feet deep to be filled with ABC (recycled concrete) for drainage.

Bigdogmg, 1 more question about your pool equipment location.

Any reason you chose to put the equipment so close to the ramada vs. further away by an exterior wall or by the house? I have mine currently planned for closer to the house but am wondering if moving it made more sense. In thinking about it, I realized it would be mainly running at night and so having it by the house might not be the best idea. Let me know if you had a reason for the location you selected or was that a default of what was available for space and any other restriction.

Thanks again and can't wait to see how your ramada looks.

Bigdogmg, 1 more question about your pool equipment location.

Any reason you chose to put the equipment so close to the ramada vs. further away by an exterior wall or by the house? I have mine currently planned for closer to the house but am wondering if moving it made more sense. In thinking about it, I realized it would be mainly running at night and so having it by the house might not be the best idea. Let me know if you had a reason for the location you selected or was that a default of what was available for space and any other restriction.

Thanks again and can't wait to see how your ramada looks.

Well I believe the closer the pool equipment is to the pool itself is more efficient and also less costly (there is soooo much plumbing its amazing). The west wall of our Ramada will be solid block. That will keep us in the shade for the afternoon summers. And it will help block the noise of the pumps. But now a days, the new pumps are pretty quite so that shouldnt be much of an issue.

Ramada work started late (I had trouble finding subs), but there is progress! Have the solid wall and all four posts up. After waterproofing I need to have inspection before my sub fills concrete block with concrete. Waiting on roof trusses to be built so thats at least another week out. I'll try to post more pics. So far this site is telling me I've exceeded my size quota.

Waterline tile is complete. Glass tile on the stools and steps is complete. Waterfall stonework is just about done. First coat of stucco on the Ramada is done and that work should be finished this weekend. I'm shooting for May10th to have the Pebble Sheen interior done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got final inspection done last Monday, interior done Thursday, acid wash Friday. We got to swim on Mothers day!!!! Still some touch up work in the Ramada that needs to be done and landscaping, but now we can finally enjoy the back yard!pic1.jpgpic2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I still need to take a photo of the deck jets, waterfall, bubblers (in the baja shelf), and fire bowls all turned on. Then post it here next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.