**NOW THE END TO ALGAE :)***vacuum to waste

stephlap4

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2013
Louisiana
is it possible to add a diverter valve to an above ground pool's filtration system so that I can vacuum to waste. I have a summer escapes above ground pool 14'x48" with SFS 1000 filter system that uses a type c cartridge filter. I want to be able to get rid of a major algae build up from vacationing, but do not want to have the algae to go straight back into the pool through the pump. my husband told me to use hth green to blue I and II shock treatment. after A LOT of googling, I realized I wasn't supposed to use that if I didn't have the option valve of vacuum to waste. but I read about this guy with a cartridge filter also and he did the hth shock treatment too and the next day when it was time to vacuum the dead algae, he unhooked his return hose and put it into a bucket of water (to prevent air bubbles) and he let it overflow and drain into his grass. is that a good idea??? I never had a pool before and uuuggghhh.....this is WORK!!!!! PLEAAAASE HELP!!!! oh yeah...and could I actually hook up some type of diverter valve (whatever the heck that is)!

Re: vacuum to waste

Welcome to TFP! Here you will find the most helpful, knowledgeable pool people anywhere!

You are right now thinking a pool is a lot of hard work. We can help you change that perspective to one of " Hey, this is fun!"

Before you try to vacuum to waste, Let's try a few other things first.

I'm going to ask you to read Pool School, so you will have a better understanding of what we do here. You will be amazed at how simple it can be to maintain a safe, clean, sparkling pool.

First, how do you test your water? If you don't have a good test kit, you need to get one. We recommend the TF100 or the Taylor K-2006 for your testing needs. Here are descriptions and comparisons of the kits.

We can help you to clear your pool without using expensive "may work" chemicals, using plain old household bleach. But in order to do that, we will need at the very least, some sort of test results, even if it's from an HTH 6-way from Walmart or your local hardware store.

How green and/or cloudy is your pool?

What kind of AGP (above ground pool) do your have? I suspect an Intex/Summer Escapes since you are looking to make a waste valve set. We need to know what your pool size is, and what type of filtration you have.

The reason I'm not suggesting a diverter valve is I don't know how large your pool is, or how fast your water will be pumped out when vacuuming.

Please reply with as much of the info as you can, and also anything else you can think might help.

(edited to add Pool School link)

I think I would start by removing the cartridge filter, attaching a full leg of a panty hose on the pump outlet fixture and get to vacuuming, the point being to remove as much of the large solids as possible. Leaving the cartridge in will load up quickly and reduce vacuum power.

After that, go into shock mode as described in Pool School. Get a couple of filters, switch and clean out often. Throw them away after this is done.

Continue the full shock regimen until completed, vac again without filter/with pantyhose leg if needed, and keep the filter changed out.

i have only the oto test kit. yesterday it tested great...cl 2 and pH 7.3....but I had a layer of green at the bottom after leaving it covered for only 4 days. I have a 14'x42" above ground round summer escapes pool. it has SFS 1000 filter system, F700C pump type, and 780 GPH. im guessing around 4000 gallons or less. and im just now seeing these replies. I prob should have checked this first. I have read pool school like twice now. but when I finally killed the algae, I went to vacuum it up and it just circulated back into the pool....uuuggghh i spent all day today vacuuming the pool with the help of my awesome husband helping me make a homemade "vacuum to waste" system...lol...it worked for awhile, but then the water level was getting below the min level line and the vacuum was losing good suction. then the vacuum head broke and my hubby had to use paper clips as pins to hold the lid on....then i had to get the kids to hold the garden hose in the filter system to produce some type of good suction.....geeeeez....it was a great day to spend fathers day!! but i have to admit it was fun trying to come up new ideas to fix the pool. but any advice would definitely help for future disasters...lol!!! hopefully there wont be anymore big ones though...i think i did enough research and learned a lot from this one..lol

yes it is a cartridge....i cannot find out what the brand is though. nothing is written on it and all i can find out on the internet is that it is from Polygroup/Summer Escapes and it is Type C, 4.125"x8", w/ built in chlorinator screen, and Grime Guard Filtration Fabric

the cl was 2 yesterday. today, after the treatment sat overnight, i retested and it was dark yellow. it was too high for my cheap test kit to read the number. it looked to be A Lot of cl today!!!!

Shock level is 15, you need to read the rest of the shock procedure to ensure the green gunk is gone.

Use distilled water to cut your pool sample by 50%, then double your test results.

ok...new question about the cartridge. could I replace my summer escapes cartridge with an Unicel??
**my Summer Escape cartridge: 4.125"x8"
7 sq. ft. GFP
both ends open with 1 3/4" holes
Pleat count: ???
**Unicel cartridge: 4 3/4"x8"
7 sq. ft. GFP
both ends open with 1 3/4" holes OR
Pleat count: 60

4 1/4"x8"
5 sq. ft. GFP
same opens 1 3/4" OR
Pleat count: 51

4 3/4"x8"
10 sq. ft. GFP
same open ends 1 3/4"
Pleat count: 86

****it seems that the major difference that would matter is if it would fit into the container w/ the skimmer. I have 7 sq. ft GFP and the others are 5 and 10 sq. ft. would that make a difference?? And the other difference is the pleat count. which pleat count is better?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Higher pleat count = more surface area.

Since the 10 sq ft will fit in your canister, I'd go with those. The higher surface area will give you slightly more time between cleanings, and will clean more of the "fines" (smallest particles) from the water.

ok...now It seems that I may have finally defeated the algae!!!! :) I tested my water with the 3way test kit ( I know I know...I need a better one ) the cl level was still very high, dark yellow (of course from the shock to kill algae ) but the ph went like 6.8 or below. I read and reread the pool school and even the further reading section with extended test tips, but my brain is getting all confuzzled from all this new info!!! :eek: lol....do I just leave the pool alone for a few hours and retest or do I add ph booster???

stephlap4 said:
ok...now It seems that I may have finally defeated the algae!!!! :) I tested my water with the 3way test kit ( I know I know...I need a better one ) the cl level was still very high, dark yellow (of course from the shock to kill algae ) but the ph went like 6.8 or below. I read and reread the pool school and even the further reading section with extended test tips, but my brain is getting all confuzzled from all this new info!!! :eek: lol....do I just leave the pool alone for a few hours and retest or do I add ph booster???
You ignore pH, TA, CH, and to some extent CYA unless you've drained a lot by backwashing or vacuuming to waste, until the shock process is complete.

Complete means water is clear. cc is .5 or less, and you lose less than 1 ppm FC overnight. Good luck trying to answer the last two parts with your test kit.

ok now im thinking I should wait like 6 hours to raise ph level back to normal....??? the last thing I put in the pool was 2- 1" cl tablets in the chlorinator around 10am this morning and it is 1145am. I did put an extra dose of liquid bleach directly into the pool about 9pm last night with the pump running all night. I woke up this morning and only had to vacuum the left over dead algae in the center of the pool. it only took about 20 minutes compared to hours and hours yesterday. after I vacuumed this morning, I cleaned the cartridge filter, put 2 fresh tablets, and a very small splash of liquid bleach in the pool again then brushed it. now just waiting to see the magic happen:) just wondering if should just hold off on the ph booster since all this shock of cl was added.

Richard320 said:
stephlap4 said:
You ignore pH, TA, CH, and to some extent CYA unless you've drained a lot by backwashing or vacuuming to waste, until the shock process is complete.

Complete means water is clear. cc is .5 or less, and you lose less than 1 ppm FC overnight. Good luck trying to answer the last two parts with your test kit.

ok I gotcha! I am going to walmart later to buy the 6way test kit. so when u say the cc has to be .5 or less, do u mean that the cl level has to drop on its own? and yes I did lose a lot of water. I had to add water last night and a little this morning

stephlap4 said:
ok I gotcha! I am going to walmart later to buy the 6way test kit. so when u say the cc has to be .5 or less, do u mean that the cl level has to drop on its own? and yes I did lose a lot of water. I had to add water last night and a little this morning
I don't think the 6-way test kit from walmart will be able to read FC as high as you need nor measure CC.

Have you read anything in ?

[center:1l4utjte][/center:1l4utjte]

Not to be rude or discouraging but without a proper test kit, you're only chasing the pool hose around the pool. Until you read Pool School n realize you need a TF100 you won't grasp the concept TFP was built upon. Stop using pucks!!! Your pH is way too low!

Casey said:
Not to be rude or discouraging but without a proper test kit, you're only chasing the pool hose around the pool. Until you read Pool School n realize you need a TF100 you won't grasp the concept TFP was built upon. Stop using pucks!!! Your pH is way too low![/quo
well it is a little discouraging to hear that put in that way! i am new to this and like I said in an earlier post I have read pool school many times but its a lot of info to get straight when I am new at this. and that is what I thought this site was about..to ask questions if u don't understand something about what was read!! I thought it would be a good idea to post on this site rather than ask a walmart associate. I will get it eventually through trial and error and hopefully patient, nice people on here with good advice. I know the kit I have is not that great, but at this time after purchasing everything for the pool and THE POOL ( which was costly ), this kit was working just fine up until I left for vacation. but anyway, thanks for the encouragement!!

Richard320 said:
stephlap4 said:
I don't think the 6-way test kit from walmart will be able to read FC as high as you need nor measure CC.

Have you read anything in ?

[center:33juvz28][/center:33juvz28]

yes A LOT...maybe too many times that now im actually second guessing myself b/c different sites and labels on products say different things.....I think I have "POOL BRAIN OVERLOAD"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.