Not too sure about this…

GoldMomVA

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2020
Leesburg VA
So, our pool was finished in August 2020. We had a service close and open since then, but we didn’t get on the calendar this year, so the earliest they can do is mid June. I have been using the test kit from you during the season (awesome kit!), so maybe I can try to open it myself?!?

We have a Loop-loc cover on now. I think I can figure out how to take it off. I have peeked at the water level, and it is really close to being where it needs to be. So….

What do I do now? I have the parts from the closing. We left the spa open, so maybe this will be easier? I think the two pieces fill in the gaps where the equipment is. We don’t have any eyeballs, so just removing the plugs?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. My hubby thinks we should just wait for the pool guys, but I think it is time for me to learn how to do this.
1B2C0517-1572-444F-B488-F8EAF01CAFDE.jpeg5F99149B-71D5-43A9-B1AD-FCE1A3CCE178.jpegDE976743-8B8F-44AF-A229-DB005F776AD7.jpeg

Here is a start

Also @Newdude may able to provide more specifics To help you.

Hey GM !!! Opening is cake.

You pull the cover which is awkward but not skill intensive.

Reinstall all the drainplugs on the equipment if they were left put. (Download the manuals if you don't have them on hand)

Remove all plugs and install those union pieces.

Adjust the valves for pool operation.

Fill pump basket to the level of the water inlet

Turn on breakers at pool panel and/or main house panel.

Prime and go.

Use a dab of lube on any O-rings you see, like the two on those unions and the pump lid.

Let us know if there are any specific questions. The first time is a bit hairy because you're unsure of yourself. Next year will be cake.

it legal to close that before I remove the safety cover so that it doesn’t get wet?
So you want to use the automatic cover so when you pop the safety cover it stays dry ? That's genius!!!!!

Does it have the right clearances on both sides so it doesn't snag or rip the safety cover ?

I've always opened my pool myself it could not be easier. I'm about to cancel my pool closer's closing contract as well. Only thing I use them for is they can blow the lines easier than I can.

Reactions: GoldMomVA
You can definitely open without the company! Last summer I did all by myself (well, with the help of this group for steps along the way). Taking the cover off alone was tricky, as I ran side to side while folding it back. The cover almost fell in towards the end, with me with it. That would have been avoided if I wasn't impatient and just waited for my husband to be home to give me a hand. I read the tutorials from this site and then asked questions when things came up. Good luck

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello, again
I did it…I think. Pool is really a mess. I am not sure if I did the valves correctly. Also, the pool cleaner won’t go on. The panel says cleaner is locked out, but when I try to activate via the service mode, it still doesn’t move. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is what the equipment looks like after I reinstalled the pipes and turned the valves on.

Attachments

• IMG_9248.jpeg
    IMG_9248.jpeg
    613.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9247.jpeg
    IMG_9247.jpeg
    667.7 KB · Views: 28
I tried turning on the pump and cleaner. The cleaner booster never powered on. Also, I noticed the two powered valve levers do not move. What am I doing wrong?
Based on your latest picture, the valves appear to be in the correct position to flow to your booster pump however your pipes are not marked so it should be confirmed by following your inlet to the booster pump back to the return pipe. Notice that 3/4 OD pipe on the ground.

What turns on your booster pump, is it a time clock or do you have some automation. You show a time clock but does the main pump and booster pump both work off of that clock? You may want to show a picture of your clock and the wiring.

The diverted valves may have been switched off when the pool was closed. Feel around the perimeter for a toggle valve. It has 3 positions down (on), middle (off), and up (on). Flip it down or up to see if it moves.

I found the switches on the diverter valves and they were switched off (in the middle). I tried them in both of the other positions, and still no movement. I tried controlling from the main panel in service mode, but still no luck getting the booster to start. The pool looks ok now, but the robot has some work to do. Any ideas?

I found the switches on the diverter valves and they were switched off (in the middle). I tried them in both of the other positions, and still no movement.
Check the connection of the wire to the diverted valve and also the opposite end of the wire - where does that plug into? Assuming it has power, the valves should have rotated. Need some more info or photos.

I tried controlling from the main panel in service mode, but still no luck getting the booster to start. The pool looks ok now, but the robot has some work to do.
Does the booster pump connect to the timer?. Some photos would help where the electrical wire from the booster pump to where it connects to either a time clock or other box.

thank you for your reply. Here are some photos of the equipment and panel. I followed the wires from the valves to the panel, and everything is connected. I looked inside the two electrical junction boxes, and everything is connected. IMG_9277.jpegIMG_9278.jpegIMG_9274.jpegIMG_9275.jpegIMG_9276.jpegIMG_9278.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9279.jpeg
    IMG_9279.jpeg
    757.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9277.jpeg
    IMG_9277.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures. Very helpful.
For the booster pump to work - you have have the filter pump running, then turn on Aux 1 button on the panel. It should be in Service Mode which is the middle position of the furthest Left button.

How do you control the schedule for the pump or lights, etc. Do you have a panel inside the home or do you have to leave it in Service mode at the outside panel? Or do you have a PDA?

For the valve actuators, you will need to remove the top & lower panels that covers the PCB and the electrical hookups and look for the 2 plugins called INTAKE JVA and RETURN JVA. It is shown in the picture of the inside cover. You may need to unplug them and plug them back in as that powers the actuators. Ensure the switches at the valve actuator is either full up or full down. If that doesn’t work, then check the wiring for any cuts because it is a direct connection with the plugin at the PCB to the connection at the valve actuator with that wire.

Maybe take a picture of all of the wiring when you have that front panel off. The booster pump will be wired to the HP relay at the bottom left and the filter pump will be wired to the HP relay at the top left.

Hello, again
I already did the service mode with the filter pump on, then the aux 1, but it didn’t start even after waiting 5 mins. I thought there might be a delay.

I will try taking off the cover again tomorrow. I already did that to access the dip switches. I will take a picture and post it tomorrow.

For scheduling, we use the iAqualink app, which also has a website. I figured I would be bypassing that if I put it in service mode? Here is a screenshot of what the app looks like. Thank you for your help…my hubby might give up on me trying this and call the pool service. Argh IMG_9281.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.