daisylubob

Jun 1, 2020
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Newbie here. I am not sure I want to dig up my yard for a pool that will be taken down in September. When I bought this, I was under the impression it could go right on the grass over a tarp, on ground that was relatively level. When mostly filled, the pool was 4" off, which is too much, so it is being emptied. Uncertain if I even want to deal with it now, as it is just me doing this. Opinions? thanks.

Well, only you can decide how much you want to do. But if you level it now, even if you take it down for winter, you’ll be ahead of the game next year.

You could probably get a local landscaper to do it for a couple hundred. This is something you'll only need to do once. Usually it's done by digging down the high side.

Fellow n00b here. First time pool owner in WI. Not sure what kind of pool you have, but ours is a metal frame above ground pool; the kind where the legs angle out from the pool. Instead of leveling the entire area of the pool, I sunk the pavers where the legs will rest so that the frame of the pool is level. Works like a charm.

That being said, our pool will come down this fall, and before we put it back up next year, I will be leveling the entire area where the pool is. As PoolGate mentioned, easiest way is to figure out your high spots (a simple string level will help you figure that out) and dig down from the high end. For our 9x18 pool, I expect the project to take me a few weekends, but then I will be set for many many years to come.

So is it worth it? You bet!

De Roo Zoo- Pool is 16' x 48" Intex metal frame. Would you please attach some pics of the sunken pavers and the legs? I dont quite understand that. I am thinking I may leave it up, apparently that is ok to do.

Excavator will clear and level area for $450. He is basing his price on cost of renting a Bobcat, about $350/day here. Does this sound reasonable? I suppose I could dig by hand....ugh

I'd say that is very reasonable if he guarantees the area will be perfectly level and ready to accept your pool. I paid $300 to level an area for an 8'x10' shed. Make sure he will fix any damage the bobcat makes on the way to the dig site. Those tracks can do some damage!

Reactions: splashpad
That will be money well spent. I had a guy level my pool site after I fooled around with it for a while and finally gave up. My ground is filled with rocks and roots, and it's a heavy clay soil. The machine made short work of it. What he did in a day would have taken me weekends of back breaking labor, and frankly I wanted to be swimming not digging.

As DeRooZoo recommended, put pavers under the legs so they don't sink. My pool was mostly level, but this year I got really serious and I used a water level (buy one, or they are easy to make) and got all my pavers to within plus or minus 1/4". When you look at the water level when it's calm it lines up perfectly with the little squares on the liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pavers.... this is getting really complicated. I see so many pools around sitting on the grass, and they look fine. Also, the liquid chlorine that has to go in it when I fill, there is nothing in the instructions about addition of this. Please advise.

Pavers.... this is getting really complicated. I see so many pools around sitting on the grass, and they look fine. Also, the liquid chlorine that has to go in it when I fill, there is nothing in the instructions about addition of this. Please advise.

Check out pool school for this (left edge). Your pool will require daily maintenance and adding chlorine is one of those tasks along with other chemical balances.

My wife and I spent many weeks leveling ours. It was a lot of work. I think we filed for divorce twice during the process :)

My neighbor has a pool they just threw out into the yard. It is up and full of water but it looks terrible with how unlevel it is. It's like parking a rusted out Chevy pickup next to a Lambo when you have yours leveled. My sister in law did hers the same way. It's so cloud you can't see the bottom. She just throws a dichlor tablet in once a week. My kids ended up with a rash. I love a clear pool. You can see all the way across mine from the built in side windows. I do daily maintenance between running the robot vaccum, testing the water and adding liquid chlorine.

Pool school is helping! My water seems to be high in everything but chlorine, per test strips. I am unsure as to how to lower the CYA level, as it says to drain. How does draining it work, if I will be filling again with the same water source? It is city water. Are test strips NOT the way to go? TC 0, FC 3/6, pH 8.0, ALK 240, CYA 150, TH 250-500.

Last edited:
Test strips are not the way to go. You need a kit, like the one in my sig. But I’m confused... aren’t you draining so you can level? Doesn’t matter what the numbers are if you are draining.

CYA is something you add, not something that is already in the water. You won’t know what yours is until you get a test kit.

Reactions: Casey
Test strips are not the way to go. You need a kit, like the one in my sig. But I’m confused... aren’t you draining so you can level? Doesn’t matter what the numbers are if you are draining.

CYA is something you add, not something that is already in the water. You won’t know what yours is until you get a test kit.
This is a new setup. I am getting the ground done correctly and then filling it. I got those numbers from my water faucet and test strip, which is the same water that is going into the pool.

This is a new setup. I am getting the ground done correctly and then filling it. I got those numbers from my water faucet and test strip, which is the same water that is going into the pool.

It's always good to know what you are starting with. You'll need to buy some cyanuric acid "CYA" and some liquid chlorine. Both will be needed as soon as your pool is full. CYA only gets into the water from adding it to the water. Be careful adding it though because it only comes out of the water by draining it. So you will not want to put too much in. Usually you'll "creep up" on the correct CYA levels by carefully adding it until you have what you want. Poolmath will tell you how much you need. Of course we will all help you!

Also please fill out your signature line! It REALLY helps us to help you. https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature

Test strips are wildly unreliable and unpredictable. The fact that you used one from tap water and it's reading a high CYA level is proof that you should consider purchasing a better test kit like the TF100. I use one and swear by it. If properly taken care of, you can get away with using it for 2 years and then replacing the reagents through tftestkits.net.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.