Poolgirl19

May 19, 2021
Annandale, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello fellow pool owners! I am new to the BBB method and this forum. Stumbled into this as I was trying to figure out how to maintain my pool. So I opened my pool this spring and it was beautiful clean crystal clear water. (BTW Last year I used Clorox xtra blue shock 6 in 1 and 3inch chlorinating tabs and borax as my Ph increaser) Never knew that I should be testing CYA and calcium ECT. )Thought it would be EZPZ. Boy was I wrong! I didnt know what CYA was or how pertinent the relationship is with chlorine until I educated myself with the pool school. I finally bought a taylor k-2006 kit and tested. My pools CYA was about 180. Waisted my reagent R-0013 before realizing I could use tap water to dilute and test smh. I read and searched for what to do and was not about to try and keep my FC so high according to the CYA/chlorine chart and waste money on a bunch of bleach or use Bioactive or similiar products. So I finally begrudgingly drained around half the pool, especially when I noticed a small amount of "spicy" brown yellow algae starting to bloom Omg 😲 , and refilled it. So right now my pool is:
11277 gals temp 78F
FC=0.6
CC=0.8
TA=100
PH=7.4
CYA=75 to 80
CH=130
Borate between 25 and 50 (tested using a strip)
Now that it is more manageable, tho not where I want the CYA level, I want to triple shock for the yellow algae. I have some 68% dry tech cal hypo that I want to use since my CH is low as well. My concern is that my PH will increase with the 45ppm I need to shock for the algae. It is just a small bloom I noticed before emptying half the pool. As I have read, I can use muriatic acid to help lower PH back down but I'm not sure when to do that or how much. How long should I wait after shocking to add the muriatic acid? I also plan to use bleach as my chlorine maintenance after this cal hypo shock treatment and stick with the BBB method. Next year I will definately drain more of the pool and fill as needed to get my CYA down. I could only do about half this season. Thank you for this wonderful forum! I think I would have given up on my pool without it!
Poolgirl

I would hold off on that cal hypo and just use liquid chlorine now to get everything to where you want it. Once the pool is clear, then start adding the cal hypo slowly. It can tend to cloud pool water a little. Get that FC up right away. You probably have some algae started in the water already with such a high CYA level and such low FC.

If water looks clear, you can run an overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) to confirm whether or not anything is eating your FC besides the sun. If you lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight, then you should perform a SLAM.

Reactions: Poolgirl19
Welcome to TFP!

Definitely don't do any kind of blind "shock", at best it's just a waste of chlorine and at worst you could damage something. Since you have a good test kit you are ready to take on the SLAM Process. That's what's going to kill everything in a safe and controlled manner, and one that's going to get everything out of your water and get it on the path to EZPZ management going forward :D Just make sure you follow the instructions to the T, trying to shortcut things or go off-script can prolong the process or even cause chronic issues.

Welcome to TFP!

Definitely don't do any kind of blind "shock", at best it's just a waste of chlorine and at worst you could damage something. Since you have a good test kit you are ready to take on the SLAM Process. That's what's going to kill everything in a safe and controlled manner, and one that's going to get everything out of your water and get it on the path to EZPZ management going forward :D Just make sure you follow the instructions to the T, trying to shortcut things or go off-script can prolong the process or even cause chronic issues.
Yeah figured I should ask some experts before I throw that much cal hypo in the pool. So instead of trying to triple shock with cal hypo I definately will use my bleach to SLAM. Thanks for the great advice! I'll make sure to follow the instructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.