Noob - first time adding chemicals

ABC12

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Long story short - gave my pool service the boot. First time managing a pool. Took measurements for first time the other day but didn't have chemicals yet. Now I do.

Rechecked levels tonight.

FC 12
CC 0
pH 8.0 (possibly higher. But took 2 drops to get down to 7.6 on acid demand)
TA 80
CH 390
CYA >100 - but today was closer to 100 than yesterday
Salt - 2,000

So according to pool math I added 3 cups of 31% MA.

Decreased SWG run time to 6hrs per day at 40% and the FC dropped from 12.6 to 12 in one day (also bear in mind I changed from 25ml sample to 10ml and multiplied by 0.5)

Questions about adding chemicals
MA - holy **** that's scary and corrosive. A small drop got on coping and it started smoking [emoji20] washed it down but yikes glad I bought gloves. Added it by the strongest return jet. (pump was off but I turned it on for when I added MA, HOW LONG SHOULD I KEEP PUMP RUNNING AFTER ADDING MA?)

Storing - any good recommendation for good containers to store in? I bought today at home Depot but the lock I owned didn't fit it. Leaving the chemicals in the Rubbermaid type container outside. That sound good? Would like to lock it up to keep it away from the kids...

Thanks all. First week taking care of my pool and couldn't do it without you!!

You lower CYA by draining and refilling. In Florida, it's important to not drain too much because of the high water table, I'd do it 25% at a time. For your earlier question about adding chemicals, you should run the pump for 30 minutes after adding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.