Silver Supporter
Aug 9, 2020
Carefree AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
recently replaced 3 connectors on hose. used new nuts. very big leaks that are very noisy. tried experimenting with one today by cutting off thread on hose and re-inserting. no change. leak is coming from cleaner side of connection (nut on side closest to cleaner) for all.

newly purchased parts used:

ANTOBLE Pool Cleaner Hose Swivel D20 Replaces Zodiac Polaris 280, 380, 180,3900 Pool Hose Ball Bearing Swivel D20,D-20(3 Pack)
Sold by: Etotal Global US

ATIE Pool Cleaner Feed Hose Nut D15 Replacement for Polaris 280, 380, 480, 180 Pool Cleaner (6 Pack)
Sold by: Pool Supply Town

Attachments

• Leak.jpg
    Leak.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
You may want to check the orientation of your nut. I have found it is not obvious how to install them. it appears you have a swivel in the picture where 1 side is fine and the other is leaking. put the nut with threads facing out on the swivel male part. Push on the hose and then tighten nut. If you have the nut on the hose side then it cannot get over the male member to seal.

Reactions: CarefreeTee
Thanks for your response. That is what I did. Put nut on male end of connector and then pushed hose into male end almost to end of male and then screwed nut on.

I’m wondering if I’m pushing hose onto male end too far? It’s almost at end. Or maybe the hose is too old and not creating a tight enough connection?

You may want to cut 1 inch of tube off so you have a fresh end. Have screw cap on swivel, push hose onto the swivel end all the way to the loose nut. Screw on the nut. You may want to take a close up picture of the leak now and then another after doing the above for posting if you still have issues.

You may want to cut 1 inch of tube off so you have a fresh end. Have screw cap on swivel, push hose onto the swivel end all the way to the loose nut. Screw on the nut. You may want to take a close up picture of the leak now and then another after doing the above for posting if you still have issues.
I did cut off the prior thread portion (of just one section) and tried this. It did not help. However, I can cut further down to make sure there is not any stretched hose. I’ll report back. Pool is covered up right now for some construction, so it will be a couple of days before I can try this. See you then.

When you take it apart, suggest you take pictures of the swivel with the arrow and how you have the nuts positioned, This can help us with further ideas if this continues to leak. You could have a bad swivel as well. is this the only swivel in your hose?

No, there are 3. Only the two exposed to the surface are annoying. The 3rd may be doing this but can’t tell (below surface). I replaced all 3 swivels at the same time. I will take photos when I cut hose, etc. thank you!

Wow. I did not pick up on it earlier that you have 2 swivels that are both leaking (spraying). Either you have them facing the wrong way, hose does not full seal around the male end with nut in place or they are just bad swivels. I hit your link to Amazon - there is only 1 review - and it is 1 star - is that yours as it has the same issue?
Could the mfg. have marked the arrow incorrectly?
I pulled mine out of the pool and took a picture of the swivel with hoses attached and nut orientation. No leaks. You may want to compare that to yours.
I am now really considering just a bad swivel. I did notice the seller will give full refund. My Polaris Swivel - no leaks.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water you see spraying is coming from the middle of the swivel. It shoots along the part where the hose connects and hits the hose nut and sprays out. It's very unusual for new swivels to do this, usually they're at least several years old before I see it happen.
Where did you purchase it? I'd get it back to them and exchange for a new one.
Not that this is the case here, but there are some fake pool parts getting on the market, usually online.

you used the old nuts, didn't you? I suspect there's most likely a mismatch in the swivel you replaced (Non OEM) and whichever nuts you have. It's great saving money on parts with an off brand, but there's usually a reason they're so cheap...

I'd considered all of these. bad parts. the nuts and swivels are new. the bad review is not mine. Our local Leslies no longer carries polaris parts. who do you folks suggest for buying these parts online?

you used the old nuts, didn't you? I suspect there's most likely a miAsmatch in the swivel you replaced (Non OEM) and whichever nuts you have. It's great saving money on parts with an off brand, but there's usually a reason they're so cheap...
All three leak. I'd considered that it was the parts. $15 for 3. :/ I know the arrows are going the right direction. Nuts are all new. I haven't had any issues with nuts before. Where do you recommend to buy? I want quality but I also need to save where possible.

I have had good luck with Rightfit swivel. The Leslie's near me carries Rightfit parts because they were losing out to online sales so now they just carry this replacement. Righfit provides tires, swivels, nuts, bag, etc for Polaris cleaners. I have used them all with good success on my 280.
You may ask if they carry Rightfit in place of Polaris. Or you can go online.
Also, FYI, I just purchased a Airlie Upgraded G52 Backup Valve on Amazon and very pleased with its performance thus far. It was half the price of a Polaris Backup Valve and includes a lifetime warranty.

Post a close up of your swivel and nuts on the hoses if you can. Thanks.

I have had good luck with Rightfit swivel. The Leslie's near me carries Rightfit parts because they were losing out to online sales so now they just carry this replacement. Righfit provides tires, swivels, nuts, bag, etc for Polaris cleaners. I have used them all with good success on my 280.
You may ask if they carry Rightfit in place of Polaris. Or you can go online.
Also, FYI, I just purchased a Airlie Upgraded G52 Backup Valve on Amazon and very pleased with its performance thus far. It was half the price of a Polaris Backup Valve and includes a lifetime warranty.

Post a close up of your swivel and nuts on the hoses if you can. Thanks.
I will post a photo later. I also bought the Arlie backup pump and it works great.
I’m having a tough time finding the rightfit swivel :/. I did just find a Polaris swivel part for 13.99 each on poolsupplyworld.com part #60400, mfg sku D20

I will post a photo later. I also bought the Arlie backup pump and it works great.
I’m having a tough time finding the rightfit swivel :/. I did just find a Polaris swivel part for 13.99 each on poolsupplyworld.com part #60400, mfg sku D20. I ordered one. No shipping $$. Can’t return if less than $25 so I’ll let you know if it solves the problem.

OEM Polaris D20 part received yesterday. Problem fixed. Just ordered the remaining two. Also here's a great YouTUBE video on the whole situation around this issue. Includes a video of leaking swivel connectors!! Thank you to everyone that commented and helped me through this process!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.