No recirculate, can I backwash into pool?

Probablynj

May 28, 2020
Toms River NJ
Hey everyone. This is my first post on here so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Patrick and my gf and I bought a foreclosure a couple of years ago and have been struggling with the pool. I have a Hayward EC75A DE filter. The problem is, I don't have a multiport. It goes pump to filter and I have a backwash port on the back. The question is, can I cheat and use my backwash hose to recirculate? My filter clogs up in about 2 hours because the pool is blooming. Everything we've tried has cleared it up a bit but I can't run the filter long enough to feel confident I'm mixing the chemicals adequately. If you would like pictures just let me know. Thank you in advance!

Hey everyone. This is my first post on here so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Patrick and my gf and I bought a foreclosure a couple of years ago and have been struggling with the pool. I have a Hayward EC75A DE filter. The problem is, I don't have a multiport. It goes pump to filter and I have a backwash port on the back. The question is, can I cheat and use my backwash hose to recirculate? My filter clogs up in about 2 hours because the pool is blooming. Everything we've tried has cleared it up a bit but I can't run the filter long enough to feel confident I'm mixing the chemicals adequately. If you would like pictures just let me know. Thank you in advance!
Oh and it's a 16x32 inground. About 21,000 gallons

....I have a Hayward EC75A DE filter. The problem is, I don't have a multiport. It goes pump to filter and I have a backwash port on the back. ...
This is similar to the DE filter i used to have. Is what you refer to as a backwash port really the drain port?
The short answer to your original question is no.

Welcome, and you really only have to run the pump about 30 minutes to mix the chemicals.

Everything we've tried has cleared it up a bit but I can't run the filter long enough to feel confident I'm mixing the chemicals adequately
Can you elaborate on "everything you have tried"? Have you read about the SLAM process in pool school? That is the sure fire way to clear up algae. No special pool store potions, expensive chemicals, just liquid chlorine, time and a bit of elbow grease.

No. You want to use backwash as little as possible -- only for backwashing, and only enough to get the grids clean. The normal operation of the filters is that the dirty water surrounds the grids and is forced through the DE into the empty grid where the now-clean water is collected and returns to the pool. Backwashing runs the dirty water into the insides of the grids and blows the filthy DE off where it exits through the waste line. Backwashing a dirty pool for hours and days would completely clog the insides of the grids and ruin them.

If you want to recirculate, open the filter and remove the grids and then reassemble. Then the same water just goes 'round and 'round. Or put it on backwash and pump stuff from the pool through the empty filter and straight out the waste line.

from the manual here:

Short cycles -- even after proper bumping, draining, and recharging

Contaminated (clogged) Flex-Tube braids caused by: a. Natural accumulation of chemical deposits (accelerated if chemicals are fed thru skimmer). b. Running D.E. charge too long with excessive amount of live algae present in pool. c. Operating filter without D.E. d. Operating too long without D.E. after starting pump. D.E. must be added as soon as filter is full of water and pump is putting out a steady stream. IMPORTANT — Testing a new pool plumbing system without adding D.E. will cause this type of clogging.

Clean Tube Nest a) Detergent Cleaning: Remove tube nest and hose down with forceful stream of clean water. Soak tube nest in strong solution of laundry detergent (such as Cheer) and warm water. Hose down again. b) Chemical Cleaning: This requires use of water and muriatic acid solution (or filter cleanertype preparations) to chemically dissolve contaminates. Consult your pool dealer for chemical cleaning instructions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.