No pool care for 4-6 months

Jun 14, 2012
Blaine, MN
We are looking at doing a major renovation to our house next year. Ideally it will start as soon as the ground thaws (basement dig out) in April/May and then continue with remodeling. We are anticipating not living at the house for 4-6 months. I would imagine there will be no electricity or gas for a couple months and doubt that it would be reasonable to swim in the pool while we are not living here. As we prepare for winter, I am wondering what to plan for next year. No matter what we do, I am mentally preparing myself for the swamp we will have created from neglect.

From what I've seen on the forum, it looks like I should just count next summer as a "loss" for the pool. The steps I am anticipating in taking this fall to close up for the winter/full year:

1. Install an overflow drain so I don't have to worry about pool levels. This spring's unusual heavy rains really caused me concern for water overflowing through the skimmer. I want to add this whether we do the remodel or not.

2. Follow usual procedure for winter close - clean it, shock it, put on leaf cover, release leaf cover when snow is predicted. Once snow season is done and ice melted, tighten up the leaf cover for the spring and leave it on all summer.

3. If we're to the point of move-in before September than I may open up the pool to get it back into shape before closing it for the winter. If it's September or later before we move back should I just plan on leaving the pool alone for 2018 and just follow the usual procedure with the leaf cover for winter and mentally prepare myself for a gross swamp in 2019?

Your input is appreciated.

Well, as someone whose recovered a foreclosure inground swamp, which had sat open for a few years before getting covered, I'd say you'll be much further ahead than I was by managing debris and keeping the cover intact ;)

Your best strategy is to keep the cover tight and dark, then opening very early in spring of 2019 while its too cold for algae growth. That will give you the best odds for a successful slam recovery.

You may get ammonia that converts your cya. So when you open, if early in 2019, get ammonia test strips from a pet store, and then determine in advance whether its more cost effective to slam, or alternately, use a trash pump to drain, and refill followed by a short, finishing slam and balance.

If that's a opaque mesh cover I think I'd add an extra dose of polyquat this year and follow your plan, except I'd add another good dose of polyquat about the middle of next year or just before the power is cut off, and maybe a dose once the power is restored or toward the end of the year. That most likely won't prevent algae, but it should help keep it manageable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.