No More Pleatco Microban - Recommendations?

amattas

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 18, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I recently replaced my filter with a Hayward 4025/4030, and I tried to order my usual Pleatco Microban filter cartridges that I love, only to find out they were discontinued.

The only option for filters made from this or similar material is from a Chinese company (MOAV). Does anyone have experience with these? I'm a little hesitant about my experience of buying anything made by a random letter company from China on Amazon. And please don't take that comment as being Xenophobic, its more about past quality issues than anything.

Are there any other excellent alternatives?

I recently replaced my filter with a Hayward 4025/4030, and I tried to order my usual Pleatco Microban filter cartridges that I love, only to find out they were discontinued.

The only option for filters made from this or similar material is from a Chinese company (MOAV). Does anyone have experience with these? I'm a little hesitant about my experience of buying anything made by a random letter company from China on Amazon. And please don't take that comment as being Xenophobic, its more about past quality issues than anything.

Are there any other excellent alternatives?
Yes, it seems the microban is no longer available.

I think you will find that most of our long term TFP folks are not impressed with technology like microban. It is supposed to inhibit antimicrobial growth. The TFP belief is that it is unnecessary, as maintaining the proper FC/CYA ratio (FC/CYA Levels) has enough HOCl to kill microbes. No need for microban.

I would buy a good quality filter of the proper size and don't look back.

It's less about being in the filter housing and more about when I rotate them out.

When I rotate a set of cartridges, I usually degrease them with filter cleaner, soak them in a garbage can full of chlorinated water (usually 12ppm ish), and then bring them in.

With the microban ones, I usually could bring them in damp still, and they'd be fine, but the standard ones always seemed to take on an odor relatively quickly once I brought them in if they hadn't fully dried outside first. And when I would leave them outside to dry my ADHD always tended to get the best of me and it would either rain or the birds would perch on them and make a mess and I'd have to re-clean them.

Functionally I didn't think they were any better though.

Reactions: PoolStored
Oh, those birds...Once they are dried, there is no microbes, algae or bacteria.

episode 2 birds GIF by The X-Files

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.