No jet flow, is it a pool timer issue or pump? Help :)

The Circulator vs return jets for water surface movement?

Hi everyone! I would love to have a surface flow that looks like this pic below:

Has anyone used "The Circulator"? Looks cool but apparently causes problems with robot cleaners?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ysku12i5eQ

I would love that beautiful shimmering effect! :D My 1st pool!

Attachments

• havuz.png
    havuz.png
    298.5 KB · Views: 89
  • hayward_pool_return_jet_eyeball_fitting_sp1419d_2.jpg
    hayward_pool_return_jet_eyeball_fitting_sp1419d_2.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 61kcx3H76PL._SY450_.jpg
    61kcx3H76PL._SY450_.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 82
Thank you!!! :goodjob: So excited for my 1st ever pool!

Here is the filter info. Someone mentioned it may look small from pic. It's the Pentair Sta-Rite PXC125 Posi-Clear PXC-Series Cartridge Filter, 125 Square Feet, 47-125-GPM Flow Rate

Do you think the water surface movement could be corrected with "The Circulator" or maybe better return jet eyeballs facing up to the water surface? I know the filter pressure is still a bit high (28) but maybe it is normal for the pool. The pool only has 3 return jets but it has two water curtain features (I guess maybe in place of return jets).

Here is a video for the circulator: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpzDf3qCFIk

Attachments

• 61kcx3H76PL._SY450_.jpg
    61kcx3H76PL._SY450_.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 32
Ignoring the large size of the pump, for a 28k pool, we would recommend a cartridge filter with a minimum of 415 sqft ... so yeah, I stand by my statement that it is too small by a factor of over 3.

But, given that the pressure stays high even with no cartridge in the filter, I do not think the size is your only problem.

And the circulator is not going to help with surface movement since it is going to keep turning and changing the flow direction.

Are 3 returns maybe not enough for a 28k pool? It's 28k but 9feet deep in the corner so that probably accounts for a lot of it.

My bad! When we removed the filter cartridge, the pressure did go down. I looked on my camera and my fiance took pics.

Before Filter change: 38
After Filter change: 34
Without Filter cartridge: 28

Does this change things? Man, I would love to have nice flow and surface movement like this.... :)

Attachments

• havuz.png
    havuz.png
    298.5 KB · Views: 29
Three returns should be fine. Why are you obsessed with surface movement?

28 psi without the cartridge still seems high, but with the with the big pump and only 3 returns and the heater, Could be normal.

Does all the water always go through the heater?

Its for my dad and for me. He isnt doing too well so it would be nice since he always talks about it. Yea its become my goal.

I think the water does go through the heater at all times. Not 100% though.

Should I have another company come out to troubleshoot possible clogs or should I replace filter and then see if that helps? :)

Re: The Circulator vs return jets for water surface movement

I've considered those things, because I have a dead zone I just can't eliminate, but the reports on the circulator are so-so and it's awful expensive for an experiment.

That said, my water looks like that. It's proper chemistry more than anything else. If you don't have a recommended test kit yet, your money would be better spent there.

Why does your pool have poor surface flow? How many skimmers and returns do you have? Do you have strong flow out of your returns?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Still no surface movement. Now that we changed the filter, we have some better flow coming out of the returns, but no flow on the surface. The water is still as can be.

There are 3 returns, 1 skimmer. Someone in the forum told me that my filter might be the issue. It is 3xs smaller than it should be, it is 125sqft, I am told I should look for a 415sqft filter. The flow did not change much without the filter cartridige so not sure if this would still help.

1.) Is it still worth getting a better filter in the 415sqft range (mine is 125sqft)?
2.) Anything else you can suggest to troubleshoot surface movement?
3.) Does the Circulator affect pH or not work well with cleaner robot???

When we removed the filter cartridge, the pressure did go down.
Before Filter change: 38
After Filter change: 34
Without Filter cartridge: 27

Attachments

• pool1.JPG
    pool1.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 43

I am in the middle of finalizing my PoolSkim setup in my pool. But, I do know, the increase in the skimming and surface movement is huge with it in the pool.

[youtube:1eitvfdy]c1MMdpCvc58[/youtube:1eitvfdy]

This is my PoolSkim in action. It is not level and not at its most efficient in this position but it's what I have available today. The video was shot from what is essentially the main skimmer as the skimmer body is almost directly under the camera and you still see the PS draws debris to it. The PS is leaking under the surface and this may be what pushed some of the debris away, or it was the breeze.

Have you tried aiming your returns up towards the surface of the water?

It does seem like you have an issue with your plumbing. 27psi with no filter cartridge seems quite high. What sort of items do you have downstream from your pump and filter (i.e. heater, etc...)? What size pipe do you have?

If this is a plumbing issue, getting something like a pool skim or the circulator may be a good idea.

I have not tried aiming the returns towards the surface bc they do not have moveable eyeballs. Will doing this affect the flow on the bottom of the pool? Pool is 9.5ft deep in one corner.

The other items aside from filter and pump are the heater. Pipes look big. Here is a pic.

I think there is a skimmer. I added a pic.

Since the pressure is still a bit high without the filter cartridge, could a new larger filter help with that (I have 125sqft, told I need a 415sqft filter)? When we took off the filter cartridge, there was a decrease in pressure, what does this tell me? When we removed the filter cartridge, the pressure did go down. Before Filter change: 38, After Filter change: 34, Without Filter cartridge: 27

Attachments

• pool2.JPG
    pool2.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 25
  • pool3.JPG
    pool3.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 25
fox_and_hound said:
Is my thread gone??? I was asking about any opinions on the circulator so I used that as the title. Also, I was asking if circulator would interfere with robot cleaner, etc etc. ???

No. It is all combined here so you are not asking the same question in multiple places.

A new filter would help, but I don't think that is the root cause of your problem.

In your picture, it looks like the grey colored valve is partially closed. Have you tried opening this valve all the way? Also the red valve with the broken handle, is that valve open all the way? You can probably use a channel lock pliers to turn that valve if the handle is broken.

If you have good, strong flow out of your returns, it may just be a matter of replacing the return eyeballs with ones that are adjustable so that you can aim them towards the surface. If you have a main drain, you should still get plenty of circulation in the deep end of your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.