No Electric to Balancing My Pool

Re: No Electric & Adding Chemicals

OK, if someone gets a chance and confirm real quick for me it would put me at ease.

Just tested again at 7:00 pm. Chlorine gone again and at zero. Added 37 oz of bleach at the return.

Now, I thought I'd shoot lower on the CYA so I don't over shoot, like mentioned above. I put 30 oz by volume of stabilizer granules in a white tube sock and tied a knot in it. Tied a cord to it and put it in at the return. 30 oz just seemed like a lot. It's a full sock.

Did I see someone mentioned you have to squeeze it a couple times? I assume it's safe to swim and stuff?

Hopefully I am on my way to good numbers. I told my mom and sister about the TFP Method and they seemed doubtful. Asking "if it was cheaper and worked, why wouldn't more people be doing it?" So, I am anxious to show her my sparklypoolitis pool. :splash:

I got about the same, ~30 oz of CYA to take an 18' x 4' deep pool from 0 to 30 CYA.

Adding CYA seems to be a good excuse for people to get rid of pink socks, but I suppose white will work.

You don't have to squeeze the sock, but if you are one of those people who get impatient waiting for stuff to dissolve then squeezing it every so often makes it go into the water faster and (more importantly) makes you feel like you're doing something useful. Note that the CYA isn't necessarily dissolved when it gets out of the sock, that's why folks say to test in a week.

Should be safe to swim before the CYA is fully dissolved as long as you are only dosing FC to a few ppm, which is what I think 37 oz of bleach will do. I guess I'm trying to say that the CYA won't make things any less safe ;)

The downside of TFPC is that you need to spend a minute or two on your pool pretty much every day -- unless you have a salt-water chlorine generator or a bleach dispenser it's not something that a pool service can check on once a week (although once a week is arguably not enough for any method). On the other hand if you *are* willing to take care of the pool yourself it does really seem to be both easiest and cheapest in the long run.

I got about the same, ~30 oz of CYA to take an 18' x 4' deep pool from 0 to 30 CYA.

Adding CYA seems to be a good excuse for people to get rid of pink socks, but I suppose white will work. Boring.

Ha ha!!! Yes, a boring white sock from the bottom of hubby's sock drawer.

So, I should squeeze my boring sock each day?

Test for CYA Friday maybe?

Ha ha!!! Yes, a boring white sock from the bottom of hubby's sock drawer.

So, I should squeeze my boring sock each day?

Test for CYA Friday maybe?

Ahh, maybe the colour of the sock depends on the gender of the person adding the CYA, since the sock never comes from *their* drawer, always the *other* drawer :D

Once a day is probably good. I would wait until ~Monday to test.

I think this is my last question about this boring sock. I put it out in front of the return and it's all ready half way gone, maybe more, like 2/3 gone. Is it supposed to go that quick?

It varies all over the map -- apparently some brands have a finer powder and dissolve a lot faster than others. I'm a bit obsessive so I would check the package I poured it from to make sure it still says stabilizer/cyanuric acid/whatever, but otherwise just smile and carry on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I just double checked and I did pour stabilizer in the measuring cup. Made me nervous for a sec. Well that went quicker then I expected. So, now I wait until Monday to test and hope I hit it right.

I'm going to let the filter run through the night. Try out the auto vacuum tomorrow and hope the CYA slowly rises and starts helping keep the chlorine in the pool. Pool still looks good.

I <3 my pink CYA socks.
ere6yzah.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you used HTH stabilizer 4lb container for around $15 from Walmart it dissolves fairly quick from my experience. First couple years before I found the forum of plenty TFP.com I used Leslie`s stabilizer/conditioner and it was course grit looked like White Grape Nut cereal and dissolved very slowly.

I have used same White sock for 4 years and it doubles as a top of pool scrubber.

If you used HTH stabilizer 4lb container for around $15 from Walmart it dissolves fairly quick from my experience. First couple years before I found the forum of plenty TFP.com I used Leslie`s stabilizer/conditioner and it was course grit looked like White Grape Nut cereal and dissolved very slowly.

I have used same White sock for 4 years and it doubles as a top of pool scrubber.

Stump, that's exactly what I used.

I guess how fast or slow it dissolves does not really matter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.