No Chlorine / Phosphates

Ok I'm going out today to buy a test kit and chlorine to hopefully start adding the liquid chlorine to keep a constant reading. However, just curious why e few people who have posted replies seem to be concerned with my CYA readings. Do they not seem right?

you probably won't find the test kit recommended by this forum (taylor k-2006). and if you do it's still a better value to get one from www.tftestkits.net
your cya is fine if it's 45. but you said it was 45, then you said you added dichlor which has cya. then you said your cya was still 45. so something seems off. your own kit will help a lot.

The discussion about removing phosphates has been moved to the Deep End. JasonLion

OK...I think I'm going to start adding the liquid chlorine today. However I must say that the last few post and the dissenting opinions on whether to remove the phosphates total confused me. The two opinions appear to make sense on fixing the problem. I just have two questions and thats regarding the large amounts of chlorine I'm going to be adding and the fact that I have the Nature 2 Chlorinator.
First.....is adding that much chlorine everyday going to damage my filter or heater or anything else?
Second....could my low or non-existent readings be caused by a malfunction with the chlorinator and the extreme heat that we have had....My pool is in direct sunlight all day long. Also in the past we usually did not have to add chlorine tablets that often.

With CYA around 45 your equipment should be totally safe with FC levels up to the mid-twenties. The only possible problem would be if the Nature2 unit has gotten the copper level very high, which is quite rare, but could cause some copper staining at extreme FC levels. If you stick with normal shock levels, around 16 to 18, you should avoid any problems with copper.

Your very low FC levels could have something to do with a broken chlorinator and/or the heat. However, once the FC level gets to zero for any reason, you will start to get algae and then need to shock the pool to be sure it doesn't ever really get going. Once any possible algae is cleaned up you can check to make sure the chlorinator is working, and/or switch to a different source of chlorine.

I am concerned that your CYA level might actually be higher than 45, as several others have mentioned, which could cause some additional complications.

OK...I picked up a test kit (the one from Leslies) and I'm having a hard time reading the results to get an accurate reading. The test kit gives you a range like 3-5 (example). So my question is if its in that range how do you know what number to use when you have to add and subtract numbers to get other calculations. Also my FC readings seem to be ok as well as my Phosphates, which seem to be alot lower than the poool store indicated. I'm just having a hard time reading the test results.

exactly which kit did you get? Does it use a color comparator for the chlorine tests and have three different liquid reagents? IF so you have the wrong kit. The kit you want does not use a color comparator for the chlorine test but is a drop counting test that has a powder reagent and two liquid reagents.
Also, how are you testing phosphates. None of the kits included a phosphate test. That is a separate,stand alone test.
Does yours use liquids or does it use 'pillows' of powdered reagent?
The only thing I know of that gives a range are test strips. Strips are not a "test kit" since they don't have different parts. They are also worthless.

I bought the Leslies DPD test kit. Know I'm assuming its the wrong kit, huh? Well its gonna have to do for know because I dropped way to much money this year already! I have replaced my Polaris pump and filter pump along with numerous chemicals. My water is still crystal clear and from the readings on this kit I appear to have chlorine in the pool. I have been putting 2 chlorine tablets in the skimmer as well as keeping th eNature 2 chlornator filled up to the top. I guess I will just have to keep monitoring it. Any suggestions?

ewilliams said:
I bought the Leslies DPD test kit.
Which one? If it is this one
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 00/I/81330
then all you really need to do is add the $25 FAS-DPD stand alone test from either Taylor or TF Testkits and you are golden.
If you bought any other kit you basically just wasted your money.
We recommend specific kits for a reason. (And we did recommend which kits to get earlier in this thread. You chose to ignore the suggestion.)
Like FPM said above, post a full set of results.
ewilliams said:
Ok I'm going out today to buy a test kit and chlorine to hopefully start adding the liquid chlorine to keep a constant reading. However, just curious why e few people who have posted replies seem to be concerned with my CYA readings. Do they not seem right?

ewilliams said:
I have been putting 2 chlorine tablets in the skimmer as well as keeping th eNature 2 chlornator filled up to the top. I guess I will just have to keep monitoring it. Any suggestions?
My concern is that you do not seem to be following the good advice that you have been given so far. You have been told to start using liquid chlorine but you are adding more trichlor.

Have you read the pool school section of the forum? If so read it all a second time. You will understand a lot more on second reading. The link is in the upper right of every page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.