Nitrate problem

irish18 said:
I was hoping I don't have to replace all the water. What I mean by shock is Super pool treat Sodium Dichioro Triazineterione Dihydrate 99% to be exact...

What are your suggestions?
I would suggests to stop using the "shock". Since it is dichlor, it is adding CYA to your pool and complicating you pool maintainance. To shock your pool (the process) see:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide

You need to be able to test your pool accuratly. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison for test kit recommendations.

Also read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide, it is a good starting point for understanding how to maintian all types of pools. Be sure to reread all of pool school as soon as you can.

I read all the info and learned a lot. #1 stop buying expensive chemicals from the pool store. I'll be using the basics from Walmart as suggested by the Pool school. I'll touch base from time to time and let you know how I'm making out with my levels. I should be receiving my water test kit any day now.

Thanks again!

You don't have to replace all the water. At www.poolcalculator.com, put your CYA ppm in the now column, then enter the CYA that you would like to be at (say, 50ppm). It will tell you how much water you will have to drain to get there. It will be slightly less than 50%. You can shock now at your current CYA level, but if you drained 50% it will take far less chlorine to reach shock level.

The shock product you're planning to use is going to increase your CYA if you drain, it will also increase it if you don't drain. Go ahead and take it back to walmart in exchange for some (lots) 6% bleach. Check the pool calculator so you'll know how much to buy, change the chlorine section to bleach 6% and it will tell you how much to put in to reach shock level (this is not a one time addition, you'll want to keep it at shock level so get extra bleach, enough to go from 0-shock about 5 times to start). Bleach is the same thing as the shock product, just in liquid form without any CYA. For your pool, this is the best choice for all your chlorinating in the future, even if you drain 50%.

I did the calculations and it would be about 45% of the water that I need to drain. For now I'm returning the pool store shock and will just be using the 6% bleech to shock my pool. We are going away on vacation so I'll hold off till I get back and see if I want to dump the water. I already did this once because my CYA was up to 180! I found out I had my Chlorinator set to high... so i pretty much stopped using it for now since it was adding to my CYA.

How are you planning to deal with the pool while on vacation? If you drained before vacation down to say 30ppm CYA, perform the shock process (low CYA = cheaper shocking), you could use the trichlor pucks while gone with some degree of comfort that you would be near or at 50ppm CYA when you get back. See the CYA/CL ppm rate Chem Geek referenced above. It would also make the trichlor better able to maintain chlorine while you're away.

Otherwise, someone will have to come and dose your pool with bleach while you're gone. Neighbor perhaps?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.