Newly Set up Pool

Mcb

Jan 3, 2018
Chino hills, CA
I just moved into a home with a pool. This is all new to me.

The pool needed work when we moved in. It was drained and repairs were made.

The pool guy that I hired refilled when completed and added chemicals to get me started.

He dumped the CYA into the skimmer without a sock or anything. He did it on Tuesday, but I just noticed the problem today. He said don't worry it will dissolve slowly and to stir it in the pipe a few times a day.

Is this correct? Is it doing any damage? The pump is running 6 hours a day, but nothing is really moving through the skimmer as it is so plugged up.

What should I do?

He dumped the CYA into the skimmer without a sock or anything. He did it on Tuesday, but I just noticed the problem today. He said don't worry it will dissolve slowly and to stir it in the pipe a few times a day. Is this correct? Is it doing any damage?
Unfortunately, that wasn't the best advice. Granule stabilizer should not be poured directly into the skimmer - for several reasons. Most of what you hear from builders, repairmen, or the pool store isn't the greatest advice. At this point, if you can scoop any of it out that may help. But if it's down in the skimmer pipe and seems like it's plugging it up, your only option is to try and free it up. Perhaps use a flexible rod or snake to try and loosen it all up. Once it finally breaks lose and travels to your filter, it's important to not clean the filter for at least a couple days in hopes that it all dissolves. If that doesn't work, you may try turning off the pump and inserting a garden hose into the pump to push the water "backwards" towards the pool skimmer. Maybe the backward flow will help loosen it up.

Okay, so now here's what you really need to do:

1 - Order a recommended test kit right away. Either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C, but one of those. They will last you all season.
2 - Review/bookmark the Vital Links you see below in my signature. They will tell you everything about what to use, how much, how to dose, and when.
3 - Speaking of signature, please go into your profile and update your signature as well with all of your pool info (kind of like mine below).

Caring for your pool and the water is not as difficult as some places make it out to seem, but you have to become familiar with those TFP pages I linked below. Take some time to review those and let us know if you have any more questions about TFP or your skimmer situation. Have a nice weekend.

I received the test kit today. K2006.
Perfect! :goodjob: Follow the test kit instructions and there's no need to have anyone else test your water. The Taylor K-2006 kit is very good and reliable. If you have any questions about the tests, let us know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.