Newly remodeled plaster (Hydrazzo) - metals and sequest testing?

BC in the Bay

Gold Supporter
Aug 13, 2013
Florida
Hi all - I just recently had the pool refinished with Hydrazzo (woo-hoo). I have a couple of questions on the metals issue and the sequest needs...

1. We put the initial startup dose of sequest agent in (Jack's Blue Stuff). The product lists a "maintenance dosage" that would result in about half a quart a week for my pool. Is this something that I need to do in perpetuity, or does the sequest sort of get the metals out of the water at some point and it's no longer necessary as an ongoing issue?

2. Is it possible or worth it to actually test for metals to see what we're dealing with? I believe this is just copper and iron that I should be concerned about, right? Sort of a continuation of question 1 - if we're gradually working the metals out, could this be used to know when that happens? I don't see a lot of products out there for metal testing, so that makes me think that it's not used very often.

3. I see that Jack's makes a sequest test kit. Has anyone had experience with this? Would it make sense to get that to test the actual sequest levels instead of using the generic dosage instructions on the product? It's about $80 for the kit, which seems a little pricey for a single test that I wouldn't think would get a lot of usage.

I anxiously await the input of the TFP chemical wizards. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.