Newby in need of advice balancing

My numbers are as follows for the TFP SLAM

FC- 4
ph- 7.2
CYA- less than 30

Since I'm in a quasi SLAM (did it wrong the first time w/ pool shock from the store), the SLAM info states to get a good ph prior to starting, I'm not sure how accurate my ph test is now.

Another thing.. Richard stated that if CYA is 0, shock is 10. Reason I ask is my CYA is not on the Chlorine/CYA chart at near 0.

Anyhow Pool Math is telling me with my FC number to get a shock level to 10 to add 173oz of bleach.

Is this correct?

If your FC is less than 10 the pH test is good, if the drops are fresh.

Does the CYA test turn cloudy at all? Like are you just under 30? Or is it clear to the top? If you are just under 30 round up to 30. If it really is clear you need to get some CYA in there.

I get the same thing on the Pool Calculator.

As often as you can.

Just to be sure, did you take out any lights, ladders and check behind any weir doors? When the water is crystal but the OCLT fails that's usually what's going on.

BTW I owe you a sweetgrass basket.

Sweetgrass baskets aren't cheap as you know. And if anything I owe you several beers when I get up your way.

Regarding lights, ladders and weir doors, I'm not sure if that's humor... I have no ladders, I can't get to the lights and I'm not sure what a weir door is...

Ahh, never mind, I googled it. HA

If the light is on the wall you probably can get to it. There should be a screw in the top. Take that out and the light should come up. There should be enough cord to set it on the deck. BREAKERS OFF AND TESTED THEY ARE OFF.

Pictures of the pool can help us spot anything else.

For now you are rounding to 30. After the SLAM (the 3 criteria are passed) you will want to raise your CYA but you won't be SLAMming anymore so you can ignore that number and use the Min/Target columns. Should you ever have to SLAM at 70 CYA, the 28 is the SLAM number.

Make sense?

Sort of.. I just added 175oz of bleach to SLAM to an FC of 10.. I also have some conditioner in to get my CYA to 30, then pull it out, don't go past 30.. then, keep up the SLAM throughout the day to 10. Do I have that right?

If I ever have this algae problem again and my CYA was 70, I would have to SLAM to 28..

If it is close to 30, we just round up to 30. There is no sense going from say (what looks like) 27 to 30, that is outside the limits of the test. Now if it's below 20, you will probably want just a little more. (edit to add) If you at 30 you do not want to raise anymore until after your SLAM.

The SLAM level with a CYA of 30 is 12. So 12 FC is what you are targeting.

Correct! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Passed the OCLT! :cool:

Morning numbers

FC-8
CC- .5 (I'm sure it's less, quarter of a drop would have made the water clear)
ph- 7.8
TA- 60
CH- 320
CYA- 30
NACL- 3300
Temp- 73

PoolMath is telling me to get the numbers that are suggested on this site for my setup to add..

TA- 26oz Baking Soda
CH- 49oz Calcium Chloride (don't have any, if it's necessary what would the recommendation be?)
CYA- 96oz Stabilizer

I'm already on the stabilizer and I'd like to turn the SWCG on to say 10%...

If I'm wrong please let me know, thanks.

I'd leave your TA and CH alone right now. TA of 60 may help slow pH rise. And CH of 320 is close enough - it will rise some with refill do to evaporation.

Is the water crystal clear? If so, it's fine to turn on the SWG - you will need to fine tune the percentage in the coming days. Just don't let the FC fall below the minimum for your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.