Newby here.

Failed OCLT test this morning... now what?

Topics merged to maintain history. Butterfly

Hey friends,
When I last posted on here 7/26 early in the morning I was instructed to shock my water to a level of 30. We added the Chlorine the next day which was 7/26 around 2030 and the level was at 30 when I tested it that night but the SWG was running so that might have affected it I think. I tested the next morning 7/27 when the SWG was not on it read 31.5. Was that considered an OCLT? if so we passed. We had a strom come through yesterday and when I tested the Chlorine level around 1645 before the SWG came on it was 26.5 and there was a lot of pinestraw from the storm in the pool.
I tested it this morning and the level was 23.5. There has been no CC in any of the test I just mentioned. My #'s for this morning are:
FC-23.5
CC-0
PH-7.5
T/A-still 110 although it turned blue to yellow since the Chlorine level was high. correct?
CH-260
CYA-90
The water looks clear to me. I haven't swept to see if any algae floats around and frankly I am so tired from working all night I can't fatham sweeping right now. I will ask my husband to sweep and tell me what he sees when I wake up this afternoon.
He wants to make an aerator for the pool today but would it be a bad idea to aerate today?
The CSI in the calculator is giving a -0.37.
I told him to hold off on adding anything until I hear back from you guys as to what you might suggest :-D .
Thanks again for any help it is greatly appreciated :lol:
Goodnight folks :sleep:

Re: Failed OCLT test this morning... now what?

Try to keep your posts in the same thread from now on, it will be easier to follow all the advise you have been given.

You have not passed the OCLT yet as you had the SWG running part of the time after your last test at night. Test at least an hour after the last dose of chlorine for the night, make sure the SWG is off, and then retest in the morning before the sun hits the pool.

The shocking process will be over after you pass all three requirements; water is clear, CC<=.5, and you pass the OCLT. Many SWG pools never have problems with the first two requirements but have a nascent algae problem that the SWG keeps from blooming but the chlorine demand is too high.

Hey,
Sorry about the new post ping. I am fairley new to forums. I will keep it in this thread.
When I woke up my husband said that he had backwashed to pool and added more water and half of the Chlorine the Calulator said to add to reach a target of 30. I guess backwashing was ok :?:
Since I didn't get schooled on the motor when the pool guy was explainig it to my husband I didn't know you could run the motor without the SWG on :oops: So we will add the rest of the chlorine and run the motor to move the chlorine around and I will ck the level when the sun goes down and make myself get up early in the morning on my day off :( to ck the level again.
I swept and saw faint if any algae surface.
ONE DAY it will get easier I hope :)

Okay, we'll see what the morning brings :-D

Just as a reminder, at least 45 mins. to an hour after adding chlorine (with pump running), test FC & CC tonight after the sun is off the pool and again test FC & CC in the morning before the sun hits the pool. Fingers crossed :wink:

OCLT test today

We finally passed the OCLT test :-D
The FC was 31.5 and the CC was 0 last night. This morning the FC was 31 and the CC was 0 and the water is clear.
PH-8.2
T/A-90
CH-250
CYA-70
So do we continue to keep the FC in the 30's and if so for how long? Should we add the muriatic acid to bring the PH down today?
Thanks for any info that you think we need to do.

If it were *me*... I'd let my FC drop to the desired normal level (not sure what your ideal goal range is) based on your CYA by just turning the SWG off and continuing on with the daily tests. Then return the SWG back on when its time to maintain your desired level.
I'd not put any more CYA into my pool for sure. I also know that the pH isn't accurate at that high FC level so can't advise you on what to do about it at this point. Someone wiser here will hopefully chime in?

It should all be *much* easier and cheaper for you now :party: Is Mr.Stubborn happier now too? LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let the FC drop on its own and once the FC measures below 10 ppm test the pH and adjust from there. With CYA measuring 70 keep a minimum FC level of 3 and target 5. The consensus on this board is that you can swim in water that has FC up to shock level, but since you are a couple of points above that let the FC drop a little before you start swimming.

Turn your SWG back on when the FC drops below 10 and measure the FC every day until you get the SWG dialed in.

I suggest testing your water often enough to learn how often your pool needs adjustments. Normally my pool is stable in that I know I only need to check my pH weekly, TA every two weeks, CYA and CH monthly. Right now we check FC, CC and pH daily due to the DW teaching for 8 hours a day in the pool. Normally we check the FC two or three times a week and the CC once a week. Your testing requirements may need you to test more or less often depending on the characteristics of your pool.

SunnyinSC said:
Thanks ping for your advice. Should I be testing just the FC and CC only for a while or do the other test along with those?
When should we turn the SWG back on?

I keep all my testing records on this form. I've notated under each test how often they should be run, assuming there hasn't been a problem requiring more frequent testing-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.