Newbie wanting to add thru-wall skimmer...

Hello, I saw this thread last year and plan to install the Hayward skimmer this year. We take our pool down each year for storage, does anyone else do that? It will make it difficult to roll up and stow neatly away, anyone have any ideas on that? We have the 12x24 Intex Ultra Frame. Thanks!

Hi! I just did the skimmer install myself!

i leave my pool up year round, but I’ve seen others say that they just uninstall it when taking the pool down.

No, but I will take a photo for you tomorrow.

I haven’t lost much depth, maybe an inch.

Not sure, but to my understanding is that the two are the same, the wide-mouth just adds a new faceplate to it.

10F0F093-FF42-429F-9FD7-51DB9EC66992.jpg

Here you go, Brandon. I’ll be adding water in a couple of days if we don’t get some rain soon. I like to keep it just over the screws you can see on the side, which are starting to show, so that it is even with the grid line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was an experience. I wanted a valve under the skimmer so I could close it off as needed. So I built PVC connections above and below the valve.

I didn’t know that Intex uses a slightly different size that, while the hose will screw onto PVC, it won’t screw on enough to seat hose properly. I made a couple of gaskets but was still having a slow leak at the hose connection. So finally, after messing around for a couple of days, I bought flex PVC and made my own hose. Eureka!

Here is a photo:

8A33F459-462A-454E-A30F-6A8E21F9B58D.jpg

Ah, so is everything coming off your filter the flex pvc? So, off filter to the t, and then to skimmer and intake? Also, do you use both the skimmer and intake at the same time or shut one off while using the other?

Sorry for all the questions. After taking our first swim today, I realized I need either the thru wall or over the wall skimmer (lots of little dead bugs on the surface). Thru wall obviously would be better, but wanted to know what all it entails before deciding. Was trying to keep cost down on this little bity pool, but they just creeping on up!

I’m still using the Intex hose for the return, and of course the small hose from pump to filter. The rest is flex hose. I sacrificed one old Intex hose to pull off the hose nuts. I needed those to connect to the pump, and to the one plunger valve. I’ll find the pieces I used and post here... just give me a bit.

The skimmer is my primary inlet. I keep the valve on the other inlet about 1/4 open, so if something weird happens and a frog clogs the skimmer, my pump won’t run dry.

BUT, if you are only keeping this pool for the summer and doing something else next year, I would just get the over the wall skimmer. I had it on my previous pool. It really did a great job.

Ok. I bought these, and used sand paper to grind off the raised letters. Only took a few swipes. Lay paper grit side up on table, then rub adapter over surface in a circular motion.

The Intex hose nuts fit perfectly over these, and stay loose enough to tighten or loosen. The other side of the box adapter can be glued into a PVC union, which can be glued to either flex hose or pvc pipe. I didn’t want hard pipes, so even though the flex hose ain’t cheap, it was worth it. And I sweet talked the guy at Lowe’s into selling me 12 feet for the price of 10 feet, so I have extra if needed!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the over the wall for now and see how I like it. My perfectionist personality wants everything really nice and tidy and streamlined (in other words, nothing hanging on the side of the pool! LOL), but my logical self knows I should do the over the wall since this is not a permanent pool. I think I'll go order it now so I can stop obsessing about it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.