Newbie to Pools- can't get water to clear.

my CYA level was 53, so according to the chlorine/CYA chart, my minimum FC should be 4, with a goal of 6, and 20 to shock. I understand that, but being without a kit at the moment, how can I keep it at the appropriate shock level of 20? I know to use the pool calculator to determine the initial amount, but how do i know when i need to add more?

ps. the pool store FC reported 3.4 but my dinky test kit from walmart said at least 5 (that's all it goes up to) so which one should i go with?

You can't. You need a test kit capable of reading high enough for your shock level. You'll find at first you will need to check and add probably every hour, so make sure you start the shock process when you'll be home!

RobbieH said:
You can't. You need a test kit capable of reading high enough for your shock level. You'll find at first you will need to check and add probably every hour, so make sure you start the shock process when you'll be home!

DANG! :cry:
which chlorine reading should i go with, mine or the pool stores?

It is very hard to keep it at shock level without a good test kit. If you have one ordered you can dilute the sample with 3 parts chlorine free water to 1 part pool water and multiply the result by 4. That's not at all accurate but it'll keep you close to shock level until you get the kit. You won't be able to finish the shock process that way either.

teporterfield said:
my CYA level was 53, so according to the chlorine/CYA chart, my minimum FC should be 4, with a goal of 6, and 20 to shock. I understand that, but being without a kit at the moment, how can I keep it at the appropriate shock level of 20? I know to use the pool calculator to determine the initial amount, but how do i know when i need to add more?

ps. the pool store FC reported 3.4 but my dinky test kit from walmart said at least 5 (that's all it goes up to) so which one should i go with?

you can dilute your water and then multiply by whatever you diluted by. for example if you take

5 ml of pool water and mix with 5 ml of distilled water
then take 5 ml of that and dilute with 5 ml of distilled water, you now can multiply your FC result by 4

Or you could just take 2ml of pool water and mix with 8 ml of distilled water etc.

While I agree it could be difficult to maintain an exacting shock level without the TF100.....I don't think any harm could come by getting the pool up to shock levels of chlorine while the kit is shipping. OP is armed with enough information to put the numbers in the pool calculator and get there. Then add 1/2 gallon of bleach each evening. At least this way, you have begun the process. That is what I'd do now, armed with the knowledge that this site gave me. I think it could give you a head start on the process. Then, while you're waiting on the kit...you can brush up on pool school, pool chemistry, etc. I agree it will be difficult to determine an exact FC level, but certainly you can get the chlorine going. Those first few days of curing my swamp...the chlorine was doing a massive number on the biologics. I wish I had begun the chlorination process sooner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.