Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
Hey Everybody,
Since I have been reading the forums and threads. I am thinking about converting to a SWG. I bought the home with pool in October so I have never maintained it myself and this will be my first year. I lifted the cover and it is a green swamp. So I know I should slam when it is time to open. I wondering should I wait a few months after using the bleach method before changing over or should I have it converted immediately after clearing it up ?
Do you have any recommendations for a SWG?

Hey back atcha!

An SWG won't produce chlorine in pool water temps of about 50° or less (varies a bit my brand). I expect your water is that cold or colder, so you can put off the SWG until spring.

In the meantime, you can do some research here and decide if you might consider adding automation. If you do, you'll want (at least) your controller, your pump and your SWG to be of the same brand, so they can all "talk" to each other. If automation is not in your future, then there are SWG brands that we can recommend.

After "inheriting" my pool from the previous owner, I let the pool guy run it for a while. He botched that up pretty good. So I started replacing equipment, automating everything and finally took over the care of the pool myself. Couldn't be happier with all of that, and with TFP.

Last edited:
I converted my neighbors pool and it is simple and effective. Anyone with basic plumbing and electrical skills can do it. Add the SWG to the plumbing and salt to the water and walah, you have a saltwater pool. Salt level in a saltwater pool is only slightly higher than a non-salt pool. 3 parts vs (usually) 1 part (after running for a year or so they get up to 1). Ocean is 35 so you are nowhere near that. Most people cannot even taste the salt in a saltwater pool. Overall skin feel of saltwater pools is fantastic. It is spa-like. Question is not "if", it is "when". Good luck!

I converted my neighbors pool and it is simple and effective. Anyone with basic plumbing and electrical skills can do it. Add the SWG to the plumbing and salt to the water and walah, you have a saltwater pool. Salt level in a saltwater pool is only slightly higher than a non-salt pool. 3 parts vs (usually) 1 part (after running for a year or so they get up to 1). Ocean is 35 so you are nowhere near that. Most people cannot even taste the salt in a saltwater pool. Overall skin feel of saltwater pools is fantastic. It is spa-like. Question is not "if", it is "when". Good luck!

Unfortunately, I have a SWG Justchlor from South Africa which requires 6 parts! And it's salty! Should really get round to changing it but had a lot of other costs so far. Makes you a bit more buoyant though! (or maybe just my imagination!)

Reactions: damon5683
As for if you should run using bleach/liquid shock for a time before installing the SWCG, I think there is always value in doing so. It gives you an appreciation for the chemistry balances in a way that you don't get with a SWCG. The SWCG just sort of seems like magic (albeit good and scientific magic) but it's not the same as pouring in X ounces of bleach and immediately (15 minutes later) seeing the result. But certainly not required or necessary to do so. It will also give you time to ease off of your post-swamp SLAM FC levels and get your pool Spidey-sense developed. Each pool has a bit of it's own temperament, within certain boundaries. But by all means, do convert. SWCG's are fantastic tools for simplify managing a pool's chemistry.

And a Welcome! from Maryland. :handwave:

Thanks for your responses.
I need to look at the automation systems.
I have to get a new safety mesh cover at $2,300.

I am excited about this new adventure.
Because it is going to be usually warm this coming week mid to high 60’s all week. I thinking about getting all the junk out of the pool and do some water testing to see how things looks.
I am going to open late April early May.
I am going use bleach for the first month or two.
Then maybe convert over to the SWG.

damon,

My advise is don't over-think this. I have first-hand experience with that. I lugged liquid chlorine for years after experts here suggested swg and even on my pool much smaller than yours I finally got sick of jug lugging. Now a year in I wish so much I had switched years ago. As others have mentioned, modern swg technology uses only a small amount of salt. Sea water is 10 times saltier. My wife loves it and says "it feels like a spa". You''ll need to complete your slam before you run the swg so there's no hurry. So if you take my advice spend the rest of winter figuring out what swg you'll get and how you'll control it instead of if you'll get it. There are LOTS of great options and they all work. I looked at all my options and ended up adding a 3rd party swg (Circupool). I did the install myself and it was easy peasy. And pool maintenance is really simple now. Depending on what's important to you your best answer could well be a different choice. We have experienced experts on all the different brands, installation techniques, and how to control.

Good luck to you!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.