Newbie requesting some testing and chemical assitance

The suggestion is to carry over the SLAM for one more day and pass the OCLT twice in a row just to be sure. At these levels of FC use a 5ML water sample. One drop is 1 point of chlorine. You loose a little accuracy but save on reagents. You can go back to the 10ml sample for the OCLT if you want to be really precise.

Finishing the SLAM requires three things...
A. Pool water should be crystal clear with no sign of algae anywhere
B. CC's test result should be .5 ppm or less
C. You should not lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight.

If you meet that criteria, I see no reason to continue the SLAM another day To be SURE? Then why not two days to be REALLY SURE, etc. etc. Maybe three days?

If you use the correct testing procedure (accuracy and precision) the SLAM is complete just as it says above. The SLAM was developed by TFP members and approved by TFP as viable and effective Have faith in your testing and the successful results......repeating it indicates you doubt your actions.

To repeat the procedure after you have passed seems very counterproductive and is not a TFP guideline.

Finishing the SLAM requires three things...
A. Pool water should be crystal clear with no sign of algae anywhere
B. CC's test result should be .5 ppm or less
C. You should not lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight.

If you meet that criteria, I see no reason to continue the SLAM another day To be SURE? Then why not two days to be REALLY SURE, etc. etc. Maybe three days?

If you use the correct testing procedure (accuracy and precision) the SLAM is complete just as it says above. The SLAM was developed by TFP members and approved by TFP as viable and effective Have faith in your testing and the successful results......repeating it indicates you doubt your actions.

To repeat the procedure after you have passed seems very counterproductive and is not a TFP guideline.
Thanks Dave! I felt the same way. I have not added any more LC since last night as I passed all three of the SLAM requirements as of this morning. I did check my chlorine levels at 1100 CT today and they were - FC: 28; CC: 0.5; TC: 28.5. So, the FC is still at the SLAM level even after an additional 5 hours. The sun just came out here in DFW (1420 CT), so the FC will decrease a bit this afternoon. Time to return some of those LC bottles I bought. I certainly won't need 14 more of them in the near future.

So, now I just wait for the sun to bring my FC level down, to the proper range (3-5 SWG at CYA 70 for me right now) and then maintain, correct? I will test the pH and clhorine levels daily and then do the full test each weekend.

Is your SWCG working again? If so, your target is 5ppm FC. Don't let it get down to 3ppm, even though that is the min.
If your SWCG is not working yet, then your target range is 8-10ppm FC. Manually dosing and targeting 3-5 will most likely end you back where you started.

One other question: is it safe to swim in the pool with an FC level of 29-30 ppm? I don't think so but wanted to check.

It is safe to swim up to SLAM levels. At CYA 70, you can swim up to 28ppm FC.

Is your SWCG working again? If so, your target is 5ppm FC. Don't let it get down to 3ppm, even though that is the min.
If your SWCG is not working yet, then your target range is 8-10ppm FC. Manually dosing and targeting 3-5 will most likely end you back where you started.

It is safe to swim up to SLAM levels. At CYA 70, you can swim up to 28ppm FC.
Thanks! No, my SWG is not working yet; I'll keep the chlorine at 8-10 ppm. It probably won't be for at least a month.; I'm waiting for a large payment to come through to help pay for a new Pentair system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.