Newbie pool owner

BB70Chevelle

May 17, 2021
TN
Had our 24’ AGP installed yesterday and in the process of filling it now. Installer said to only add 6” of water per day and nothing at night, am I okay to add more long as it’s sunny and warm out? They are suppose to be back Friday to install a different filter and pump setup. They brought the wrong one with them. It was suppose to get a 150 cu ft cartridge and 2 speed 1.5hp pump but they brought a 120 cu ft and single speed pump with them.

Have a Taylor k2006c kit. Should I be testing or adding anything as it fills?

Attachments

• 52A30969-297A-49EF-A9EA-80B68D303344.jpeg
    52A30969-297A-49EF-A9EA-80B68D303344.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 2
I've not heard of the 6" at a time thing before, especially with high summer temps, but I guess they have their own way of doing things. I wouldn't try to add anything until the pool is full and you can circulate water. 1.5 days should be okay if they return by Friday.

In the meantime, be ready for the chemicals. Watch them if they add some - take notes! If they leave it up to you, do the following:
1 - New water has no CYA, so start with a CYA of 40, maybe 50 later.
2 - Add enough liquid chlorine for an FC of 2-3 ppm on day one. After that, increase and balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3 - Balance the pH between 7.2 - 7.8.

Those are your initial priorities. Post back after fill if you like with test results and we can help more.

For the CYA in case you need it.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: BB70Chevelle
I've not heard of the 6" at a time thing before, especially with high summer temps, but I guess they have their own way of doing things. I wouldn't try to add anything until the pool is full and you can circulate water. 1.5 days should be okay if they return by Friday.

In the meantime, be ready for the chemicals. Watch them if they add some - take notes! If they leave it up to you, do the following:
1 - New water has no CYA, so start with a CYA of 40, maybe 50 later.
2 - Add enough liquid chlorine for an FC of 2-3 ppm on day one. After that, increase and balance the FC to the CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
3 - Balance the pH between 7.2 - 7.8.

Those are your initial priorities. Post back after fill if you like with test results and we can help more.

The whole pump issue has been a headache tbh. I had to argue with the install supervisor for an hour yesterday about it even though it’s in my contract and was paid for they didn’t want to honor it and then she wanted me to install it but said if I do she will void the warranty on it. Finally she came around and admitted to sending the wrong parts. Then they were suppose to be here today with it and decide to cancel and now can’t come til Friday. Little ticked off with them at the moment.

As far as chemicals I’m on my own they just told me to bring them a water sample. I downloaded the app and have everything on hand to begin testing and adding what it says once full.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Measuring tonight when they dug for my pool they only went 18” bigger all the way around so by time I factor in room for retaining wall my bonding wire will not meet code. It will only end up being around a foot from pool not the required 18-24” so now I have to hand dig the hole bigger. Also I plan to place the pump roughly 20’ from the pool and bury pvc lines to it. With it being that far away does it still need to be bonded?

Measuring tonight when they dug for my pool they only went 18” bigger all the way around so by time I factor in room for retaining wall my bonding wire will not meet code. It will only end up being around a foot from pool not the required 18-24” so now I have to hand dig the hole bigger. Also I plan to place the pump roughly 20’ from the pool and bury pvc lines to it. With it being that far away does it still need to be bonded?
Anything conductive that’s in contact with the water needs to be bonded, so the pump needs to be bonded regardless of location.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pools been up and running a few days now. Water is nice and clear. Noticed we have been having to add roughly half a gallon of chlorine per day per the pool math app. Does this seem about right? Pool gets full sun all day long. Will be adding a shade sail over it soon to help with that. Been running the pump on low speed for 16 hours a day.

Noticed we have been having to add roughly half a gallon of chlorine per day per the pool math app. Does this seem about right?
Depending on your pool gallon size and strength of chlorine it could be fine. Your signature is still blank, so you might try updating that (see mine as an example) which should help in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.