NEWBIE just got new liner and pool filled...

You need borax to raise the pH. Use Pool Math to determine how much you need to raise your pH up to 7.2.

What is your CYA level?

fc 4
cc .5
ph 7.2
total chlorine - bright yellow

that is all good nothing to do right?

also I had ordered a polaris 9550 robot from poolsupplyworld and they sent a 955 robot instead I'm guessing the 9550 is better and I need to contact them tomorrow right?

is there a solar cover that you guys can reccommend?

Thanks guys!

test results today--

ph 7.3
total chlorine - bright yellow
fc - 3
cc - 0.5
cya - 40
ta - was bright pink on 6th drop and no change on 7th drop

everything good?

bottom of my pool always has tree stuff on it. cleaned it up perfectly with my robot over the weekend but right back to looking dirty....just what I have to live with will all the pine trees around it. the robot was awesome to watch. every now and then it even scared me when I was in the back yard by myself and all of a sudden I heard a noise...it was the robot coming all the way up to the pool edge....i set it to clean the walls which was amazing to see for the first time.

time to back wash now according to filter gauge pressure. i have never moved the pump from the filter position. is this correct to backwash? -- turn pump off. turn to backwash. turn pump on and backwash until water coming out is clear. turn pump off. turn to rinse. turn pump on for 30 seconds or so. turn pump off. turn to filter. turn pump on.

the tubing coming out of the pump goes in 2 directions....one the pump guy wrote steps and one he wrote walls on. there is a lever and right now its not going to either one. the pool guy said only turn the valve to the "steps" position when pool water level is below the desired level and doing something like filling it. is this correct? I don't need to move that valve anywhere before backwashing?

Thanks guys the site and your info has helped a ton and it seems pretty easy to take care of the pool now!

i just did it....guess I did it right. I only backwashed for about 30 seconds. The water in the tube thing I could see looked clear the whole time. Manual for the pump says do it 3-5 minutes. pool guy told me after water is clear that I would just be wasting water. Then I rinsed for maybe 15 seconds. So I just check the pressure later tonight and make sure its back at 17 (starting/clean pressure)? thanks!

the TA was bright pink on 6th drop and no change when adding 7th drop so is TA 60 or 70? Do I need to add some baking soda?

and for CYA at what point is the dot obscured enough? You know that it is there so you can just barely tell that it is there for a long time before there is no way you can see that its still there.

I need to add more CYA? I thought 40 was the recommended level? I have 2lbs. of CYA left on hand right now.

Thanks!

the TA was bright pink on 6th drop and no change when adding 7th drop so is TA 60 or 70? Do I need to add some baking soda?

and for CYA at what point is the dot obscured enough? You know that it is there so you can just barely tell that it is there for a long time before there is no way you can see that its still there.

I need to add more CYA? I thought 40 was the recommended level? I have 2lbs. of CYA left on hand right now.

Thanks!
Your TA is 60. Slightly low, but since you don't have to worry about plaster etching and the pH is good, why fuss over it? Your refill water will likely drive it up. If you just can't resist, target 90 and add some baking soda. It's a good way to check your skill with poolmath.

The CYA test, the dot disappears. Like, you can't tell if it's a circle or a square. You might need to look away a minute, because sometimes it's like those optcal illusions where you stare at it too long and when you look at a blank paper you still see it.

You do not need more CYA. You need more bleach. I wrote, "FC is right at the minimum for your CYA. I hope you planned to add more." For 40 CYA, minimum FC is 3. Keep above that or you risk starting one of those "Help- my pool is green" threads!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.