Newbie Introduction

Jun 6, 2018
Athens Alabama
I am David and new here. Let’s see, 41 years old, a Taurus, father of 2 girls (8 & 10), USMC Veteran, and I have a an above ground fish pond...I mean pool. I am not too interested in owning a pool but my girls are so we have one for the family. I am completely lost with managing a pool and the more I read the more I get confused. So here’s to trying to clear up my pool. Thanks...

Hello and Welcome to TFP!! you WILL be glad you found us.

I'll let you in on a secret, back in Spring 2016, my wife came to me and said " I want to get a pool, I've always wanted one so we are getting one." I tried every line in the Guide to get out of buying something you don't want: Wife edition. I was laying all the excuses out in protest, I wasn't doing any maintenance, water risks, blah, blah. But she wasn't taking NO for an answer. We bought one, had it installed and then I found this Forum. It's the best thing that could have happened! No lie. We will teach you how to care for your pool so that it becomes a source of fun and fond memories. It will not be a chore. But it does take some initial investment by you: Your time to read, ask questions and learn. Your girls will love you for it and you can even bribe them to do some of the upkeep.

Have a look through Pool School. Ask any questions you have, none are too simple or wrong. You will be a pro in no time.

It does require you to get a good test kit to clean the water properly. I highly recommend the TF-100 with XL option from TFTestkits.net. This will allow you to test the water and give you and us the details needed to help you. Don't worry testing the water is not difficult. After a couple of tests, it becomes easy.

again welcome aboard!

My name is David also...

Thank you Teald024. I have actually been reading things on the site after a friend of mine that just got a new in ground pool stumbled across the site. I tried the everything and every which way to get out of the pool as well. The hardest part for me is understanding all the stuff involved with a pool simply because I have little interest in owning one LOL. But willing to figure it out for the fam.

Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to get the Speed Stir along with a good test kit. It makes water testing even easier and more enjoyable!
I'll 2nd that motion. I've only had my test kit for 2 weeks and already spilled half of the danged water samples by swishing it around. So yesterday, I ordered one. Can't wait to try it out. I can't pat my head and rub my stomach at the same either so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. :rolleyes:

Just go to the forum you are interested in. There should be a large blue button near the top that says “new thread” or something like that.

Welcome, and much thanks for your service!