Newbie here - Some ?'s

So it dropped from an expected 10ppm to 3ppm in 30 minutes? At least the CC are pretty low. Did you dose back up to 10ppm after the 3ppm reading?

What did you target with your CYA addition?

Yes, I dosed it back up with the addition of another 2 bottles (that's all I have left at the moment), after 30 minutes, it's reading 3.5 FC and .5 CC

Forgive me, but what target are you referring to with the CYA comment?

Based on your previous response, I guess I'm shooting for 30, which is what I've already added to the pool. So on that Chlorine/CYA Chart, my target FC should be 4.

Is 30ppm for CYA acceptable for my pool? Also, the CYA test won't reveal anything until a week later when it's fully dissolved.

I'm curious though, if I was SLAM'ming it to Shock Level of 10-12, even though my CYA level was 0, I should have achieved that goal already? Up to date, I must have used 10x 121oz of Clorox Bleach, which is 4x the Shock level. Question is where is all that chlorine going?

Chlorine is a consumable. but only 2 things use it. Stuff in the pool and the sun. You will always have losses to the sun and the lower the CYA, the more you will lose.

You are supposed to maintain the shock level FC until you pass all 3 criteria to stop.

The point of the OCLT, is since there in no sun, the losses are only to stuff in the pool.

Chlorine is a consumable. but only 2 things use it. Stuff in the pool and the sun. You will always have losses to the sun and the lower the CYA, the more you will lose.

You are supposed to maintain the shock level FC until you pass all 3 criteria to stop.

The point of the OCLT, is since there in no sun, the losses are only to stuff in the pool.

Wow, duly noted. Guess I need another trip to Walmart tomorrow.

As far as CYA level is concern, what is the recommended level that I should be set to?

Also, would a solar pool cover be a good investment here? We used to have one years ago until its time was up but never got a replacement.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am just saying do not ignore it because of a little rain.
I agree, you do need to do the OCLT, I prefer the FC to be at near SLAM level for that. Make sure you run the pump overnight as well.

I am just saying do not ignore it because of a little rain.
I agree, you do need to do the OCLT, I prefer the FC to be at near SLAM level for that. Make sure you run the pump overnight as well.

OCLT was successful, had <1ppm for FC Loss last night and water is crystal clear. I would like to say "Thanks" to all that replied to this thread and I really appreciated it. I will continue to test the water on a daily basis to ensure the pool gets the proper care it needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.