Newbie from MD trying to get the swamp under control

Apr 12, 2017
Hagerstown, MD
Happy to find this site :p. This pool was almost drained when we purchased the house last fall. Pool is located on a sloping rocky hill, so high water table may not be an issue. Local pool company advised to fill to 1 ft below skimmers for the winter which we did and then to drain, clean paint and refill in the spring. They did not see the pool. There are just a couple of minor cracks in the plaster but the pool is holding water. There is a Hayward S244T sand filter and a 1hp pump.
There are gas and electrical connections to the heater which is missing.

I would like to add a salt water chlorinator and optionally a heater as well. I read that painting is not advised.
I was planning to drain the pool, clean the leaves, pressure clean and then refill. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What is the best media for the particular sand filter? And where is the best location for the chlorine generator?

Thanks!

I will post pictures.

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new swamp!

#20 silica sand is best for the filter. The SWG should be last before going to the pool. Pump-->filter-->heater-->SWG-->pool.

We recommend scooping out the leaves and following this process to clear it up, SLAM Process.

Here is the long version of that story, Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Normal first recommendation from this site is to purchase a test kit so you can test your own water. There's probably no need to drain any water, assuming your CYA is inline. Pour some chlorine in your pool to start, then start a SLAM once your test kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.