New whirlpool tub in bathroom

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
We are in the process of getting our existing old garden tub replaced with a new whirlpool tub. This tub will be filled and emptied with each use. I recently saw that cleaning this type of tube is different from a regular soaking type tub. Most recommend filling with hot water, adding some kind of cleaning agent and running for a period of time. This does not sound very difficult however there appears to be several options for the cleaning chemical and I would like some advice on them.

The tub is a Jacuzzi brand tub, and Jacuzzi recommends using there cleaning system which appears to be some form of stabilized chlorine. Has anyone used this system and have any comments on it?

There are several third party cleaners, one of which is Oh Yuk. Has anyone used this product?

The third chemical is to use dishwasher soap (not dish soap) and perhaps vinegar. This seems to be the less expansive method, and in some ways the best for our situation. We have very hard water and do not have a water softener. So the vingar will help to remove any scaling from the hard water.

Also any recommendations as to how frequently it will be necessary to clean the tub? Jacuzzi recommends after every bath, but this might be too frequent.

Huh? I have a Kohler jetted garden tub and have never once done a single bit of maintenance to it (it's 20 years old now). Perhaps they recommend it but I can't see why other than to sell you an overpriced cleaner. If you don't use it often like once a month or more I suggest filling it once a month and running it for 1/2 an hour. I have let mine go without use for 6 plus months without doing anything and it is just fine the next time I use it.

I used to clean mine with a little Cascade powder after each use. It was already full, so it only cost a few pennies (or nickels or dimes) to do. Be sure the lines drain well or you'll have a little of it in your next bath!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.